rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hi All -

I've checked the Adobe Forums and the HP Forums and neither has been able to provide me with a suitable solution to this problem. We have an HP 800PS plotter and are running Adobe CS3 on PCs and Adobe CS2 on a Mac. We can't seem to print Illustrator files directly to the plotter from either system. Half of the layers show up, then half of the layers go missing (primarily text layers but not necessarily limited to). Printing from Acrobat doesn't seem to be a problem. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Rudy,
This is only a quess, but it sounds like your running out of memory at the plotter. Try adjusting the flattening settings under the advanced print menu. We can usually get a good print after a few adjustments, although recently we've had a few situations where we could only get a good print through Acrobat. It could be a CS3 issue. Keep us posted. Once I get to work I can look at our print settings a little more closely and see if I can be a little more specific and useful. This is something we'd like to resolve as well.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

This is only a quess, but it sounds like your running out of memory at the plotter.

I doubt if it is a memory issue. We've successfully printed 30 MB Freehand files from a Mac to this plotter. The sample I send from Illustrator is less than 1 MB in size. We've also printed larger Acrobat files successfully as well.

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

We have an 800PS that we print to from PowerMacG5s across the network. When printing from AI 10 we occasionally will get individual letters dropping out of words and other strange behavior. The severity can range from a couple words on a map to virtually all the type losing some letters. We seem to have narrowed the problem down to occurring in the afternoon. (I know this is starting to sound real weird!) We finally have found a process that seems to solve the problem, we power cycle the printer. My guess is that if there have been a large number of jobs printed on a given day that there are memory problems, somehow the memory is not clearing out after a job is completed and problems occur later. We've had this printer for 5 years now and it has worked nearly flawless until this problem cropped up in the last year. The machine has been a real workhorse for us.

Additionally when printing from CS2 we are flat out unable to print virtually any job directly from AI. Our workaround has been to place an EPS file in InDesign. It then prints perfectly. Its an exceptionally irritating problem. Fortunately we will be replacing the 800PS with a T1100ps very soon after the start of the next budget year, it was scheduled to go this year but had to be delayed.
Rick Dey

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I used to have problems printing large files from CS, CS2 but since Adobe switched to PDF as a native file type in AI - I have stopped using .ai files and always save my native Illustrator files as editable PDF's.

When I need to print - I just use Acrobat and don't have to place/re-save anything.

I'll bet the problematic 1Mb file has a transparent fill or a raster effect (drop shadow?) and the printer does not have enough memory to RIP the PS3 language.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Have you tried Advanced=>Print As Image from the Acrobat Print Dialog. This will rasterize everything before Acrobat sends it to the printer. If it prints using this method, you are running into a memory issue with the plotter. -Tom

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Same plotter and same problems. At times we would get perfect maps and other times many layers missing.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Same plotter and same problems. At times we would get perfect maps and other times many layers missing.

Is there an option that allows you to make a layer in Illustrator non-printable? If the option is availiable in Illustrator that could be your problem.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Is there an option that allows you to make a layer in Illustrator non-printable? If the option is availiable in Illustrator that could be your problem.

I can print the same file to a different print and get perfect results. Not so for the HP 800 PS. I think it's a printer issue. I'll be doing some more testing when time allows and keep you all posted.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

We have an Epson 7600 and while we don't have the same issues, we do have perennial problems printing from AI CS3. We pretty much always go through InDesign, in part because the print interface is so much nicer in ID. Note you do not have to export/save as an EPS to place in InDesign; you can also save as an .ai file with the "embedded PDF" option clicked. This keeps the file size smaller...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Even the HP web site says that there are problems with Adobe and HP 500-800 series plotters. The suggest getting Post Script driver.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Even the HP web site says that there are problems with Adobe and HP 500-800 series plotters. The suggest getting Post Script driver.

Do you have a specific link to that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->