18 replies to this topic

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

I might be wrong, but I believe "virtual memory" isn't RAM, its the scratch disks. Try looking at those settings and see if Illy is using a nearly-full hard drive for its scratch disk space before going the manual route.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I wouldn't think it would be that much of a problem - resolution shouldn't affect it as should all be vector. I'd go with 7200 to avoid rounding errors. Does the exported PDF look ok in Acrobat?

You don't have a transparency applied to the text do you making it rasterize.

Thanks, Sam.

The map is of entire Orange County, California (US) so the small street annotation is huge at 1200. Illy could not barely open it at 300dpi, but then the annotation was worthless anyway.
Yes - I can print the entire map, annotation and all, as a PDF and it looks great, but Illy (CS3) doesn't open it - it REALLY TRIES though :)

I found a solution though, in case others face this: I clipped the road layer into smaller blocks (in my case 5), then created annotation in a geodatabase. Then I could turn on one annotation group and export at a time. This was small enough for AI to open.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I have had the same problems exporting CorelDraw to Illustrator with my curved text broken, there can be problems with certain colour conversions as well. For example I had a broshure that was a royal blue, upon conversion for portfolio purposes many of the features came in as black. More then likely its something to do with the conversion, as a further example do a website in Dreamweaver & bring it Microsoft Sharepoint, not every feature comes in especially a Spry.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • United Kingdom

I used Maplex with very complex rules with much success - however by ESRI's own admission, Maplex breaks down on page sizes greater an E.

You need to be careful with just using the term 'Maplex', and it rather depends when (and what) that 'admission' was, and what it applied to.

The original standalone Maplex product certainly had had limits on the size of internal arrays that limited its usefulness on really big maps. When the heart of the Maplex engine code was spliced into ArcGIS at 9.0 to make the Maplex Label Extension (MLE), then some of those limits went. At 9.0, the engine code was refactored from the original Fortran into C++, and other limits went. At 9.2, the MLE internals were reengineered to be much more modular, and more restrictions disappeared. At 9.2 also, MLE was made available in ArcGIS Server, and hence had to be able to handle bigger datasets. Those processes have continued in 9.3, in which various new placement capabilities have been added to Maplex. In addition, memory sizes and other architectural limits on computer hardware and operating systems have also evolved.

So, I think it's well worth trying Maplex capabilities again.

Caveat: I speak not officially on behalf of ESRI, but based on my personal experience with Maplex and its software development staff over a more than ten-year period.
--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->