8 replies to this topic

Neil Allen

Neil Allen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

Long time CartoTalk voyeur, first time posting! I'm glad to finally be here.

I've always enjoyed graphics arts since childhood, however I never wanted to completely rely on my creativity for a living. At the same time, I have always loved to draw, but not so much as to be a pure draftsman or CAD operator. Cartography spoke to me as a melding of the two. I graduated in 1995 with my MS from the University of Kansas where I studied under George McCleary and worshipped at Allen Fieldhouse (Go Jayhawks!).

Since then and for the past 13 years, I've been mapping/publishing at Allan Cartography doing various contract work, Raven Maps, and Benchmark Atlases. I work on most of the larger contract work that comes through our office. In addition, I also do nearly all of the GIS data management. On the side, I have a few small clients for which I cartographically cater. Mainly I try to keep my mapping problem at work and at the annual meetings (and now here), but you know how we are. (There should be a spousal support group to deal with all the outside conversations that inevitably revolve around maps.) I've attended the last 7 NACIS gatherings and currently sit with the board of directors. I attended my first ESRI User Conference this past summer and although I could appreciate the scale of it, I much prefer the intimate, friendly atmosphere that is NACIS and apparently this forum too.

I look forward to hearing from you and engaging you on this cartographic field.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Neil, and welcome to Cartotalk!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Neil. Thanks for the intro. Nice to know you!

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Welcome. I own all the Benchmark State atlases and IMHO they are the nicest looking atlases out there. I also have couple of Raven maps. Which did you work on?

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

I attended my first ESRI User Conference this past summer and although I could appreciate the scale of it, I much prefer the intimate, friendly atmosphere that is NACIS and apparently this forum too.

Welcome, Neil! (another one finds his way here)

I know what you mean about the scale of these 2 conferences. I love the NACIS meetings myself. It seems easier to really get to know individuals without getting lost in the crowd. It's an added bonus that they are all fellow map-lovers. :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Neil Allen

Neil Allen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

Welcome. I own all the Benchmark State atlases and IMHO they are the nicest looking atlases out there. I also have couple of Raven maps. Which did you work on?

Any Raven state map with a copyright after 1996 has shaded relief created by me (finishing touches by Lawrence here in the office, our Photoshop guru). Other custom titles, (North America, Countries of the World, Mexico) were originally constructed by me through the direction of Stuart Allan, and then later type-polished by our resident cartographers. As you see, I cannot take full credit for any one title as we are a team oriented shop. As far as the Benchmark titles go, I arrived on the scene as Benchmark was just getting started back in 1995.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Welcome Neil!
Glad you finally made it on here. :)

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Hey Neil,
Great to see you've officially joined the clan! Nice chatting with you at the NACIS night-out as well. cheers. Erin

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Hi Neil! Good to have you unlurked.

(OK, all you other lurkers out there... don't be shy!)

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->