kpearson

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Cartography & Bouldering!
  • United States

Adobe Illustrator CS3
I am using the Type on Path tool, but after I place the text my object gets deleted. I watch my layers panel and as soon as I click the Type on Path tool on the object, the object dissappears from the layer panel. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Adobe Illustrator CS3
I am using the Type on Path tool, but after I place the text my object gets deleted. I watch my layers panel and as soon as I click the Type on Path tool on the object, the object dissappears from the layer panel. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

The object (path) gets replaced by the text you've entered. This is "just the way how Illustrator works". If you want to retain the original object, you'll need to make a copy of it, paste it in front (ctrl-f) and then do the type-on-path on the copy.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

kpearson

kpearson

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Cartography & Bouldering!
  • United States

Adobe Illustrator CS3
Thanks

The object (path) gets replaced by the text you've entered. This is "just the way how Illustrator works". If you want to retain the original object, you'll need to make a copy of it, paste it in front (ctrl-f) and then do the type-on-path on the copy.

Hope this helps.

Awesome!, Thanks, I didn't realize that.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I always thought that the path simply becomes invisible - you can still see it in wireframe mode - but I've tried giving it a stroke and colour.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

If you use the Group Selection tool (the white arrow with the plus sign) or the Direct Selection tool (the white arrow), you can select just the hidden line and style it any way you would like, without making a duplicate.

BTW, the Group Selection tool is one of my favorites. In case you have never used it, when selecting an object in a group, the first click selects that single object, a second click selects the entire group. Subsequent clicks will keep moving up the group tree if there are groups within groups.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

If you use the Group Selection tool (the white arrow with the plus sign) or the Direct Selection tool (the white arrow), you can select just the hidden line and style it any way you would like, without making a duplicate.

BTW, the Group Selection tool is one of my favorites. In case you have never used it, when selecting an object in a group, the first click selects that single object, a second click selects the entire group. Subsequent clicks will keep moving up the group tree if there are groups within groups.

Thank you Nick! You just made my Illy work that much easier...no more delving into layers menu all the time.

Yes you can select and style the path the text is on but then you can't fine tune the path without altering the geographic feature. IMO it's best to do the copy and then a simplyfy of the path to place the text on—but we all have our own ways of working.

Cheers,

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->