• 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

For those who don't know, Cartographic Perspectives is the thrice-yearly journal of NACIS, and one of its nicest benefits. I'm on the editorial board for a couple more months, and I've had this idea... There's a section called "Visual Fields" which is essentially a show-and-tell. My idea is a more group-based thing: pick a particular cartogrphic problem and then get a bunch of people to address it.

Here's the format I'm thinking: each person submits two sample illustrations, with 100-150 words about each. One is from their own work, the other is someone else's solution they admire. Copyright is not an issue here: fair use allows for quoting for purposes of review.

I'd just as soon do this off-list. I can't guarantee everyone who replies will be included, but I'd like to get as wide a variety as possible. There may be some editing of text (in consultation with the author of course).

The first topic I'm going to tackle is one-way streets. Anyone who wants to participate, please contact me off list.

Of course, if you want to talk about one-ways here too, that's fine...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Great initiative, that sounds really interesting. Maybe there will be a challenge to balance so that people don't submit too similar things?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

For those who don't know, Cartographic Perspectives is the thrice-yearly journal of NACIS, and one of its nicest benefits. I'm on the editorial board for a couple more months, and I've had this idea... There's a section called "Visual Fields" which is essentially a show-and-tell. My idea is a more group-based thing: pick a particular cartographic problem and then get a bunch of people to address it.

Here's the format I'm thinking: each person submits two sample illustrations, with 100-150 words about each. One is from their own work, the other is someone else's solution they admire. Copyright is not an issue here: fair use allows for quoting for purposes of review.

I'd just as soon do this off-list. I can't guarantee everyone who replies will be included, but I'd like to get as wide a variety as possible. There may be some editing of text (in consultation with the author of course).

The first topic I'm going to tackle is one-way streets. Anyone who wants to participate, please contact me off list.

Of course, if you want to talk about one-ways here too, that's fine...

OK, that did not get far off the ground on my first try, and on reflection I have some idea why: it was a challenge without a lot of really good examples. One-wayness is really hard to pull off well. One other Carto-talker responded off list; maybe this needs to be a paper rather than a forum topic.

SO, I'm trying again with a new topic:
Type in cased roads.

I'm talking about street mapping with the street labels lying within the cased line of the street, like a UK A-Z map or an old-fashioned Geographia/Hagstrom map of New York. There have of course been all sorts of variations on the style.

So... What is your favorite expression of this, and what is the best crack you've made at solving the problems of font, weight, variable street width, and so on?

Let me know if you're interested in pursuing this for Cartographic Perspectives; I'll be looking for 4-8 people. As before, you can post comments here all you want, but please
contact me off list
if the CP project interests you...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

sean

sean

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:climbing, biking, and tinkering.
  • United States
In regards to one way streets, what about using a serif font that points the direction of traffic flow (serifs 'lean''). I know this is an obscure convention in water text that was used to show the flow of a river or stream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->