GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Has anyone been successful marketing "quality" maps to real estate agents? I've spoken to a few and they seem really excited about the possibilities, but I've been unable to secure any work from this group.

Any tips or tricks on marketing to this group?

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Realtors are an interesting lot. You will get a lot of interest but little actual money. I would expect that the current housing market has also put a cinch on their wallets also. Usually your best bet is to hit the local realtor association rather than individual realtors or realty offices.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

We've done pretty well at the high end of things: investment offerings, new luxury condos, very expensive timeshares, etc., and in specialized markets such as retail leasing and distribution centers.

Ordinary residential agents often dream big but somehow never come through with the check.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Like Dennis I have only had luck with the upper end of the scale: commercial development companies, and resort-area (i.e. spendy) realtors.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Has anyone been successful marketing "quality" maps to real estate agents? I've spoken to a few and they seem really excited about the possibilities, but I've been unable to secure any work from this group.

Any tips or tricks on marketing to this group?

I haven't marketing to Realtors, but a few have sought me out for web maps (zip codes, neighborhoods, etc.). I would focus marketing effort uphill, as others have mentioned, and not to individuals. Possibly try advert on Realtor assoc. websites, newsletters and the like.

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

It's nice to see that others share my experience with the real estate market for maps. my experience has been that, next to advertising folks, real estate people are most likely to give me the runaround (lot's of interest, meetings, quote this, quote that, but no contract).

That said, I am doing quite a bit of work in real estate lately - we're having a boom in high end mountain top gated communities here in the Southern Appalachians. The key was landing a high visibility project last spring which has resulted in quite a bit of spin off work.

Since most real estate (and advertising) folks don't seem to want to pay for custom maps, I've been toying with the idea of creating some 'generic' maps that could be customized somewhat and licensed for multiple uses.

e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->