• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Fellow Cartographers;

I would like to introduce myself as Mr. James Hines a graduate of the Cartography Digital Mapping Program from the Centre of Geographic Sciences class of 2004. The Cartography program had provided me a unique opportunity to experience the world of mapping through the eyes of my instructors, & I would like to thank both my instructors & my fellow co-students for giving me the knowledge that I have today; it was stressful but yet a fun experience. Unfortunately my post graduate years didn't quite work out the way I had hoped, my knowledge in GIS lags behind the times as I currently have ArcGIS 8.3. :( For the past three years I have worked in the retail industry, but through the disappointment I have kept the faith that one day I would to join the ranks of my fellow cartographers.

Therefore; I would like to say hello to the members of this site, & hope to get hints to modernize my Cartography.

Sincerely;

James A. Hines
Cartographer

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello James, and welcome to Cartotalk!

Don't be too worried about your knowledge lagging behind, a good understanding of the principals of GIS is very important too and I think you'll be fine in that respect.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Welcome to CartoTalk, I know several colleagues who went to COGS around the time that you graduated. From what I hear, it's a great school for learning and upgrading GIS skills.

bruce

bruce

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Hello James and welcome!

I have found this site a great resource and time well spent simply reading old posts. I am located about 230 miles (straight line distance) from you in Maine. I have friends who say Nova Scotia is what Maine was once like many years ago. I do not know if that is true, but these folks have bought land in NS and go there for holidays and vacations. I had planned a motorcycle trip to NS, but instead my wife talked me into a trip to California. Maybe next year...

Bruce
Bruce Hensler

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I want to thank the membership for their replies. I hope to become a productive member of this board.

In reply to both Mike & Hans;

I’m not worried about my knowledge; however I have read ESRI's 9.2 version, it seems that there have been some changes since 2004. What I am planning to do is to reapply back to COGS within the next year to upgrade my knowledge, however there is a money issue called collections.

Just Mike;

You sir are a godsend, any member from the ESRI company in Redlands is a friend of all Geographers.

Bruce;

I did my thematic atlas on Maine using ArcGIS & CorelDraw, although I never did have the time to fix the errors that would have made the project viable as a portfolio sample. There isn't really a difference in my opinion between Nova Scotia & Maine other then the fact that we are your poor cousins & the road network is different, ("Stop the Widening Campaign on State Highway 1" ;) ).

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->