• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Fellow Cartographers;

I would like to introduce myself as Mr. James Hines a graduate of the Cartography Digital Mapping Program from the Centre of Geographic Sciences class of 2004. The Cartography program had provided me a unique opportunity to experience the world of mapping through the eyes of my instructors, & I would like to thank both my instructors & my fellow co-students for giving me the knowledge that I have today; it was stressful but yet a fun experience. Unfortunately my post graduate years didn't quite work out the way I had hoped, my knowledge in GIS lags behind the times as I currently have ArcGIS 8.3. :( For the past three years I have worked in the retail industry, but through the disappointment I have kept the faith that one day I would to join the ranks of my fellow cartographers.

Therefore; I would like to say hello to the members of this site, & hope to get hints to modernize my Cartography.

Sincerely;

James A. Hines
Cartographer

"Abbas of novus versus"

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello James, and welcome to Cartotalk!

Don't be too worried about your knowledge lagging behind, a good understanding of the principals of GIS is very important too and I think you'll be fine in that respect.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Welcome to CartoTalk, I know several colleagues who went to COGS around the time that you graduated. From what I hear, it's a great school for learning and upgrading GIS skills.

bruce

bruce

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Hello James and welcome!

I have found this site a great resource and time well spent simply reading old posts. I am located about 230 miles (straight line distance) from you in Maine. I have friends who say Nova Scotia is what Maine was once like many years ago. I do not know if that is true, but these folks have bought land in NS and go there for holidays and vacations. I had planned a motorcycle trip to NS, but instead my wife talked me into a trip to California. Maybe next year...

Bruce
Bruce Hensler

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I want to thank the membership for their replies. I hope to become a productive member of this board.

In reply to both Mike & Hans;

I’m not worried about my knowledge; however I have read ESRI's 9.2 version, it seems that there have been some changes since 2004. What I am planning to do is to reapply back to COGS within the next year to upgrade my knowledge, however there is a money issue called collections.

Just Mike;

You sir are a godsend, any member from the ESRI company in Redlands is a friend of all Geographers.

Bruce;

I did my thematic atlas on Maine using ArcGIS & CorelDraw, although I never did have the time to fix the errors that would have made the project viable as a portfolio sample. There isn't really a difference in my opinion between Nova Scotia & Maine other then the fact that we are your poor cousins & the road network is different, ("Stop the Widening Campaign on State Highway 1" ;) ).
"Abbas of novus versus"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->