• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

cubswinn

cubswinn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Can anyone reccomend a simple inexpensive online utility to improve my machines performance. Its not top of the line, but lately I've noticed a decline in the way it's functioning in general. I'm no expert and I just want something safe, easy and effective.
Windows XP (home)
celleron D
512 M of RAM
I realize I can only expect so much, but like I said I have noticed a decline.
Thanks,
John

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

If you think that you might have over-tweaked your operating system, or installed too much (junk) - then you could try wiping the hard drive and reinstalling things from scratch. I would also try to do some maintenance tasks, like deleting stuff from the disk, to create free space, check disks/memory and do a defragmentation.

And I would consider an upgrade - you don't say how fast your cpu is, but your memory is on the lower side - consider adding at least 1 GB of memory.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

GoldeneAdler

GoldeneAdler

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Too many to bother listing but some are:<br /><br />Mapping<br />Chess<br />Pool<br />Cars<br />Archery<br />Bush<br />Cafe's
  • Australia

Can anyone reccomend a simple inexpensive online utility to improve my machines performance. Its not top of the line, but lately I've noticed a decline in the way it's functioning in general. I'm no expert and I just want something safe, easy and effective.
Windows XP (home)
celleron D
512 M of RAM
I realize I can only expect so much, but like I said I have noticed a decline.
Thanks,
John

Firstly, self explanetory for any Windoze system. Unlike Linux Or Amiga.(New Amiga system coming soon, duel boot)

That aside, you can try doing a couple of things, I am pretty sure you can get a booster off the net, think it was called tuneup for Windoze OS. Download this and then install program. After installation, simply open up program, and this program will sort out the files that are like ghost files and whatever other files that your system no longer needs, then push DELETE. I placed this on my fast AMD system, and man, I am experience faster load into windows times than standard.I've done other things with this software, which I do no care to disclose on these forums, maybe PM me.

(still, no where near as quick as Amiga OS4, or as good of an operating system)(Linux also good, but not my style)(apple, well, one might as well call it windoze orientated soon, wont be long before BG owns that.)(If only people knew what really happened in the past and how BG got big)

Secondly, try updating your RAM, this can be very advantages towards the older systems.

Thirdly, make sure you keep you cache empty, if you do use the tuneup program, this should do it automatically for you.

Also, on odd occasions, simply be re installing windoze, can also boost performance levels again, but, re installing, despite it being over the top of the current windoze, can have implications.(personally, avoid, unless you make back up copies of all your important files onto dvd's.

INFACT: If you do re-install, make backup copies first please, I take no responsibility for any actions you decide to take.

Fourthly, you can go through your folders and files on your own, and delete anything you don't need.

Another note: If you decide to re-install windoze from scratch, sure it will work again, but this problem will always come back, this is how windoze is designed, to have flaws.

Lastly, :ph34r: If you can not find the tuneup program, I can email you the link from home, when I hear back from you.

Hope your system will be slammin again.
To solve problems is like solving puzzles to a child

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->