1 reply to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

A client would like me to use MapInfo to create their projects, so am purchasing a license for Pro 9.x. I have fiddled around with MapInfo Basic, and am in awe of how new/strange it all is, coming from ArcMap, and I have very little time to go through tutorials right now (maybe later).

So, here is a long shot: Has anyone converted a project from ArcMap to MapInfo (shapefiles/layers, layout etc. - the whole kaboodle).

Tanks!

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

A client would like me to use MapInfo to create their projects, so am purchasing a license for Pro 9.x. I have fiddled around with MapInfo Basic, and am in awe of how new/strange it all is, coming from ArcMap, and I have very little time to go through tutorials right now (maybe later).

So, here is a long shot: Has anyone converted a project from ArcMap to MapInfo (shapefiles/layers, layout etc. - the whole kaboodle).

Tanks!

I doubt converting the whole "kaboodle"... meaning thematics, symbolization, layout, etc is an option. You're probably going to be stuck using the "Universal Translator" in Mapinfo to translate all of your .shp files into .tabs and then essentially rebuilding the project; but, of course you will retain any attribute or feature editing you've done to the data, which is good news. I recommend sending cartotalk member "Claude" an email. He has years of experience with MI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->