• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Hello fellow mapaholics,

After my last eye exam I have been sternly told that I must get a BIGGER, BETTER monitor. So, i am reaching out to my fellow mappers in the hope that some of you who have suffered from too much "map squinting" have found the monitor of your dreams. I have a budget of <$600 but am hopeful that i can find a =>25 inch monitor that's sharp and lovely.

Anyone out there with any advice/recommendations? I am trying out the Planar PX 2411w for under $600, but i'm not too impressed with it thus far.

Thanks in advance!

Analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I think you should buy two 20-22" monitors. I have found that a dual-monitor set-up it works quite well carto work and you can get a couple sheets of liquid-crystal for under $600 now. I just bought two Viewsonic's for $578.

I just wish I could rotate them 90degrees and have dual-vertical's.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

I would also recommend two monitors instead of one. The only one's I have seen that rotate 90o really well are Dell's, which are a bit more expensive. I think you should honestly be fine with 2 19" monitors. The problem with 21"+ monitors is that they just have more pixels. Good you might say, but it decreases the pixel size, and in native resolution will be that much smaller to read. And if you've ever tried using the software-mediated resolutions, you know how blurry they get.

Ergonomic suggestions:
Do not leave monitor on full brightness and full contrast.
Play with the "temperature" setting.
Increase the font size on your operating system - the system default, the browser, etc.

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I've worked with two side-by-side monitors for a long, long time.

I like my Sony 21" CRT -- I can set it to a lesser resolution if I don't want to strain my eyes, but there's times I need to set it to megapixels and then I appreciate the flexibility to still have an excellently high refresh rate. Plus it seems better for accurate color reproduction. I would think these older CRT monitors would be on firesale now as everyone wants to have LCDs.

Recently I opened an AI file on a 30" LCD panel at an Apple Store. Hmmmm... I think could be swayed!

erik

chauncey

chauncey

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:How to make attractive pictures representing where stuff is and the patterns it makes with where other stuff is, was, will be or could be.
  • United States

Most of the Dell CRT monitors i have had are Sony trinitron, firesale or free; and yes even five years old they beat poorly adjusted or cheap LCDs on all but desk top space preservation. If you could find NEW trinitrons you would be golden and spend the difference on a video card upgrade....

yes, USE TWO MONITORS!!!! electricity is cheaper than mouseclicks or ALT-TAB ing between windows. Just get a second monitor and comparing source data to input screen is an eye flick not a mouse click or alt tab.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Just get two of these and call it a day. you'll be within your budget too. Oh, but make sure your video card can support dual DVI or dual analog.

I think you'll have a few dollars left over to get some monitor color calibration. I use one and it definitely helps.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Two Dell 22-inch Ultrasharp LCD monitors are well within your budget. I use one 22-inch in landscape mode and a 19-inch, turned to portrait orientation, next to it for palettes.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

These are certainly not what you would consider "quality", but I wonder how different the specs really are.

http://www.buy.com/r...amp;dcaid=17653

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->