• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Tim W

Tim W

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

I am producing maps for Inuit in the Eastern Canadian Arctic which have no english on them, only Inuktitut Syllabics. I have no problem using the Syllabics in Excel, Word and ArcMap 9.1.

However, I'd like to use MaPublisher and Adobe Illustrator. Illustrator doesn't seem to be able to handle the Syllabics, even though the Pigiarniq font appears to be installed in the Fonts list within Illustrator.

I save my Excel file as a dbf but when I join the table in MaPublisher and use the "Tagger" tool the Syllabics don't appear. As well, they don't appear in the attribute table.

suggestions anyone ?

Thx

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I am producing maps for Inuit in the Eastern Canadian Arctic which have no english on them, only Inuktitut Syllabics. I have no problem using the Syllabics in Excel, Word and ArcMap 9.1.

However, I'd like to use MaPublisher and Adobe Illustrator. Illustrator doesn't seem to be able to handle the Syllabics, even though the Pigiarniq font appears to be installed in the Fonts list within Illustrator.

I save my Excel file as a dbf but when I join the table in MaPublisher and use the "Tagger" tool the Syllabics don't appear. As well, they don't appear in the attribute table.

suggestions anyone ?

Thx

If you open up the Glyphs pallette under Windows> Type> Glyphs can you see the syllabics?

Tim W

Tim W

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

Thanks, Yes I am able to use the Glyphs and double click each character and the Inuktitut Syllabics appear as type. However, I am unable to type using my keyboard in Illustrator. My keyboard setup enables me to type Syllabics in Excel, Word, many other softwares... even Google.
When I use my keyboard in Illustrator I just get question marks. ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->