18 replies to this topic

Brian Moran

Brian Moran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • United States

The only words of warning I have about moving from NJ to PDX are that you will likely take a pay cut, and be ready for the effects of the gray weather.

I just moved away from OR after over 3 years, and I can't say I found it as wonderful as it is often portrayed. There are some great things about the area: good restaurants, beer, wine, outdoor stuff, etc. But having lived in upstate NY, central PA, and southern Cal., I'd never experienced such weather-induced depression as I did up there. It all depends on where you're coming from and what you value, but for me it took a lot of mental fortitude to enjoy myself for half the year. That said, if the weather doesn't affect you, and you can find a decent paying job, it is one of the most beautiful areas in the country.

PS, when you get there, get rid of those NJ plates ASAP.

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I believe land use planning and the vision to invest in light rail in the late 70's is what set Oregon and Portland on the intelligent path to the quality of life that it enjoys now. In fact I got the hear the story of how the decision was made to switch federal transportation dollars from freeways to light rail from Bob Burco himself (who was head of ODOT at the time). I enjoy showing people the ghost ramps off of various freeway overpasses that would have lead to the Hood Freeway. I really was not endorsing anything about the URL I posted, just looking for a chart that graphically showed the affordability data trend. Here is a not-too-old article in the local free paper which talks about the affordability problem: http://www.portlandt...272213216525100. Or I could have just said from what I've run across in terms of recent statistics for the City of Portland which seem borne out by anecdotal data points: the average salary is $37,980, the median salary is $42,287, while the median home price is $297k and the average home price is $331k.

The recent NY Times article was hard to top in terms of glowing praise: "This is a golden age of dining and drinking in a city that 15 years ago was about as cutting edge as a tomato in January"
http://query.nytimes...75AC0A9619C8B63

The quote from the Paleys regarding how incredible affordable Portland was -- I believe refers to the situation in 1994.

erik

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Two comments on the weather:

1. It's great if you like to garden.

2. Put a log in the wood stove, open a bottle of Pinot Noir, get a nice red sauce going (with lots of garlic), listen to the rain, and life's good.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Thanks everyone, this has been an interesting thread! Cartotalk should get in the business of making City fact sheets or something :) Like a cartography-themed Lonely Planet. With lots of opinion :)

You have all helped me decide that, if I was to move out there, I would rent for the first year to test the waters, and scope out the housing market while living there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->