8 replies to this topic

KennyRedman

KennyRedman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

I'm working on a festival map for our local festival called "Taste of Tippecanoe." It will be used in 2 different instances- one being print, and the other as an interactive online flash map. Eventually, I'm going to tweak it to be used on mobile devices as well.

This is my first map illustration of any kind, as I usually do 3D modeling, animations, and a little web work. I'm not really sold on the colors nor the music stage icons yet; I'll probably change those.

Anyway, I'd love to get some feedback on how I can improve this as I work on it. I'd say right now, it's about 75% complete.

Attached Files

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hey Kenny,

Nice map so far! I really like the cartoonish fonts, they help create a the feeling of a fun atmosphere. The map itself is clear, easy to read and functional as a device to find your way around the festival.

For the music stages, have you considered using different symbols for each type of music (e.g., sax for jazz, electric guitar for rock, banjo for americana, acoustic guitar for family, choir singer for gospel, congos for world?). Although you have quite a bit of white space that represents buildings, I think you could add a touch of color to them without detracting from the other symbols that represent event locations. Do the green areas actually represent grass or turf? I know that during festivals many people lounge around on grassy areas and having green areas on your map implies manicured lawns. It is clear to me that the dashed black line is the extent of the festival grounds, but for cartographically challenged people, it may not be apparent what it represents. Could you add it to the legend? Does the "information" icon location include lost and found? People always lose stuff at these things.

Thanks for sharing, it looks great!

Mike.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

KennyRedman

KennyRedman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

Thanks, that's good advice.

Yes, the green is grass areas, and it probably is a good idea to label the border.

I might try something like that for the stages, too.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Looks great to me too. Very clear and readable
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Looks great. The only question that was running through my head related to getting there. Is there any parking or transit opportunities? I don't think the map has to have those elements to be successful - but it would be nice to have.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I would make your yellow gate arrow about a third smaller, they are so large now that they obscure the street below almost completely.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Looks very nice.

I wondered if the buildings should have more depth or solidity to them, to emphasize that you can't walk through or across them. On the other hand, I'm not sure what I learn from the pavement details with all the crosshatching at both ends of Artist's Row. Instead of all that planimetric detail on the stairs and ramps, perhaps a drop shadow would help us understand how the pedestrian bridge goes up and over the river and tracks. Need to give the railroad tracks some crossties so people understand what they are. And what means the darker green on the riverbanks? Oh, label the river.

And I would look to pull nearly all the symbols out of the legend and label things directly on the map. You only have one command center, one information, one first aid. Put those labels directly on the map instead of inventing an icon and then making people look up what the icon means. Explaining that ATM means ATM is the kind of redundancy that seems really redundant to me, in my opinion.

Love the north arrow. I'm putting that in my stealable ideas file.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

cubswinn

cubswinn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

great work! I agree that the map has a "fun" look. The only suggestion I have is more color contrast between text and background for the food tents to increase their readability. Importance of this depends on the size and detail of the final medium.

Thanks for the look,
john

KennyRedman

KennyRedman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

Lots of great ideas and feedback- I really appreciate that!

I've been working on it a little bit, as it is part of a bigger project. I'll put an updated version of it here in the next couple of days.

One problem I have is making things look too cartoony. I'd like it to be a little, but not too much.

Kenny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->