• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

DarkOpus

DarkOpus

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

I'm attempting to display a table from Access with x,y data in ArcMap. I can add the table no trouble. I then right click on the table in the source list, go to 'display x,y data' and select the corresponding columns. After I hit okay absolutely nothing happens.

I have gotten this to work in the past, in fact, I can get things to display by adding the data into an old table that, for some reason, ArcMap accepts. However, I can't create any Access file that ArcMap will display.

Just to add extra impetus, I have a meeting with my supervisor on Thursday and absolutely nothing to show him. Help!

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Are you setting an output projection? Do you get a resulting Events table? What type of table are you working with? I'd start with a simple text file. If this is urgent, one of us would be more than happy to take a look at it.

Zorko

Zorko

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • New Zealand

How many records do you have in Access table? How many fields? Are there any time/date fields in your table? I tried this by adding a table from brand new Access file and had no problems.
What version of ArcGIS are you using?

I'm attempting to display a table from Access with x,y data in ArcMap. I can add the table no trouble. I then right click on the table in the source list, go to 'display x,y data' and select the corresponding columns. After I hit okay absolutely nothing happens.

I have gotten this to work in the past, in fact, I can get things to display by adding the data into an old table that, for some reason, ArcMap accepts. However, I can't create any Access file that ArcMap will display.

Just to add extra impetus, I have a meeting with my supervisor on Thursday and absolutely nothing to show him. Help!

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

You could also try putting the table into another format eg. xls, dbf, csv. I have come across problems with Access tables in the past and changing the format to one of those previously mentioned usually gives me the outcome I am after.

MappyB

MappyB

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Map Maker by day, and Wine Drinker, Canoe Paddler, 5k Trotter, Recipe Creator, Road Tripper, Google Lover, and Bocce Baller by Night.
  • United States

You could also try putting the table into another format eg. xls, dbf, csv. I have come across problems with Access tables in the past and changing the format to one of those previously mentioned usually gives me the outcome I am after.

I'm with Andrew, usually I convert to a .dbf file. I've worked with displaying lat/longs for years and some random things our office has found to help out are:
  • If you make changes, save as a different named .dbf file
  • Save the file as a .dbf by clicking on the top left cell first (A:1)
  • Sometimes it helps to just select all and copy and paste in to a new table to save out
  • Make sure the column headings do not have any spaces or add characters
Why is working with tables so wonky?!?!
Also, 9.2 was supposed to let you use straight Excel files, so far I have yet to see that work too!
"It's risky to travel into the unknown; you don't know what you'll find.
But it's equally risky to dream, and not dive in." Robert Perkins [Limpopo River Documentary]

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

I've also found that closing the files in other applications (Excel, for example, with a dbf) is needed for ArcMap to properly read them.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Why is working with tables so wonky?!?!

I like to counter with the question "Why is Excel so wonky?"... I've come to accept that when you're working with numbers or dates, what the user enters (and sees on-screen) is almost certainly *not* what Excel will write into the file (and consequently, what other applications will read).

Kinda like Microstation and text objects... [rant deleted]
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

[quote name='MappyB' date='Sep 26 2007, 02:33 AM' post='13553']
[quote name='Andrew' post='13546' date='Sep 25 2007, 06:06 PM']
Also, 9.2 was supposed to let you use straight Excel files, so far I have yet to see that work too!

Just did this yesterday with some XY data and it work smoothly. What issues have you come across?

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

I have actually been pretty impressed with the importing of xls tables in 9.2. Haven't had any problems with it to date.
Anyways this is on the esri support site and might be helpful in formatting before importing into ArcMap, a technical article Import XY data tables to ArcMap and convert the data to a shapefile

Andrew

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

If you want to add excel files directly into ArcMap you need to "drill down" into the excel file and select the correct sheet. If you just select the excel file itself it won't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->