23 replies to this topic

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Did you toy with the thought of using a swastika for buddhist temples? (like on Japanese maps)

I have a vague recollection of doing a fairly simple b & w map of Japan for a client when I was a grad student. The client wanted the traditional swastika for temples so that's what I did. I think it was ok in that case because the intended audience (and the legend) would've kept confusion with other meanings to a minimum. But for the general public I would probably avoid it just because other meanings would likely come more readily to mind to most people.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hans - when I see those religous icons next to each other, I feel like they have quite different level of detail (if they would be represented by that size on the map). But I like the Buddha!

How about the Scientologists and Raelians, any icons for them?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hans - when I see those religous icons next to each other, I feel like they have quite different level of detail (if they would be represented by that size on the map). But I like the Buddha!

How about the Scientologists and Raelians, any icons for them?

There are a handful of countries that do not recognize Scientology as an bona fide religion (France, Belgium, Mexico, Israel, UK....maybe even more). I'm not sure if the Netherlands is one of those countries? Hans? In Germany I believe it's classified as a business enterprise. A little $paceship might work for an icon! ;)

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

What about the church of the flying spaghetti monster? I expect there are pastafarians in Apeldoorn, but do they have buildings devoted to their beliefs? They have nice emblems though. see http://www.venganza.org/fsm-store/ I had to have a few of the car emblems - a truly meaningful(less) gift.

e

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

The buddhist icon is really cool Hans, I recognised it instantly. His head however is somwhat like a russian dome. any reaon forr that?
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thanks for the comments everybody.

I seem to recall there being some statues of Buddha in the lotus position with some sort of pointed crown or hat, that's the look I tried to go for. As for other religions (Pastafarians, Scientology, Raƫlians, Banjoists), they don't have buildings associated, to some degree, with their rites, so they are not included (and in fact, they are not existing as organized religious groups within Apeldoorn).

I figured I'd steer clear of the swastika, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, it has a rather negative meaning over here. In fact, I think it's still a forbidden symbol in Germany.

Hugo, I agree, the level of detail is something that I didn't look into, because these symbols never made it past the design phase (i.e. we never even showed them on a map)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hans,
I forget to say what a great map this is!. As already mentioned the tracking could be adjusted on the street names. It's a little tighter than it needs to be IMO, but if you're out time then it works. The drop shadows on the bridges are an interesting touch. I would probably tighten the spread of the shadow and bring it closer to the center of the lines, but that's just my personal preference and has nothing to do with your shadow being over-bearing, exceedingly heavy, or set to far one one or another (which are common problems with drop shadows). Either way, nice work. Love the colors.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Nice work Hans! What is the overall extent of the map?
Agree with Erin on street type. I esp like the little details, like the building shadows, one way directionals, and the icons are fun.
Did you use Manifold and Illustrator?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The two major products this map is used for are a 2.4 x 2.4 meter wall map (entire municipality at 1:10.000) and a 1 x 0.7 meter folded street map with the city on one side, 1:16.000 scale, and insets of the outlying villages on the reverse.

Map production was done in Illustrator with MAPublisher, FME was used for data preparation, although that's going to move to Arc in the next year. I doubt they'll be able to do the entire map in Arc (which is their goal), but we'll see.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->