12 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

(This may already have been covered somewhere - if so, direct me to the appopriate thread.)

I'm looking for a listing or shapefile of populated places in Canada, ideally with population figures attached. Statistics Canada tends to lump communities (i.e. ones without a unique governing body) together, according to municipality. I'm looking for a listing of all communities - so, for example, not just Ottawa but Ottawa, Nepean, Stittsville, Gloucester, etc, all of which are part of the municipality of Ottawa. Any idea where I could get this?

MappyB

MappyB

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Map Maker by day, and Wine Drinker, Canoe Paddler, 5k Trotter, Recipe Creator, Road Tripper, Google Lover, and Bocce Baller by Night.
  • United States

Just a quick note: I'm looking in to this for you. I have a friend who is Canadian and works in GIS. No promises though since he works in the States, but he may have a clue...
"It's risky to travel into the unknown; you don't know what you'll find.
But it's equally risky to dream, and not dive in." Robert Perkins [Limpopo River Documentary]

TomR

TomR

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Member of Society for Conservation GIS
  • United States

Hi All-
Has anyone had any luck locating rudy's dataset for Canada? I am interested in the area from Upper Lillooet Park south to the BC border, in particular.
Cheers,
TomR

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Have you tried Canada Post?

Hi All-
Has anyone had any luck locating rudy's dataset for Canada? I am interested in the area from Upper Lillooet Park south to the BC border, in particular.
Cheers,
TomR

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Maybe this will help?

(This may already have been covered somewhere - if so, direct me to the appopriate thread.)

I'm looking for a listing or shapefile of populated places in Canada, ideally with population figures attached. Statistics Canada tends to lump communities (i.e. ones without a unique governing body) together, according to municipality. I'm looking for a listing of all communities - so, for example, not just Ottawa but Ottawa, Nepean, Stittsville, Gloucester, etc, all of which are part of the municipality of Ottawa. Any idea where I could get this?

TomR

TomR

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United States

Thanks for your help. The links provide good leads.

Also, by any chance, do you have any experience with Canadian census polygon data sources?
Cheers,
Tom

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

We got our Canadian data from GDT, but that was 3 years ago.
I think they merged with TeleAtlas?

Thanks for your help. The links provide good leads.

Also, by any chance, do you have any experience with Canadian census polygon data sources?
Cheers,
Tom

TomR

TomR

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the GDT link. Perhaps this source of urban areas data from the Canadian census will help others:
http://www.statcan.c...?catno=92-164-X

Cheers,
TomR

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Canada Government's Geogratis has a 1:1,000,000 populated places layer here. No population figures, but maybe this is a start?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

benjamin57

benjamin57

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi

Just wondering if you ever found that populated places file. I'm looking for the same thing.

The ESRI cd has a couple of files called "midcities" and "mjcities" that are close to what you/I want but, for example, the population for the different parts of Ottawa will be for the total of all of Ottawa. This is not Ideal.

If you need these files i could send them to you.

If you found a suitable source, please let me know!

-Ben

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for the offer but I already have access to the ESRI data that comes on CD/DVD. The mjrcities is helpful but not as detailed as I'd like. I've looked into a few other options - none of them ideal but they're still workable.

Thanks again for the offer.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

How about Avenza's MAPdataCanada?

There's always the World Gazetteer. National Geographic used it for their Atlas of China.

They have the 200 largest cities in Canada, with their 2001 and 2006 census data, annual growth and position in lat/long.

You could always cross-check some of the cities against what data you have and then decide if this reference is good enough.

You can also download date in kml which can be usefull if you can convert it.

kumargis1

kumargis1

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • India

You can get the same from
http://www.citypopul....de/Canada.html
Although it is not upadated.

How about Avenza's MAPdataCanada?

There's always the World Gazetteer. National Geographic used it for their Atlas of China.

They have the 200 largest cities in Canada, with their 2001 and 2006 census data, annual growth and position in lat/long.

You could always cross-check some of the cities against what data you have and then decide if this reference is good enough.

You can also download date in kml which can be usefull if you can convert it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->