• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

So this is my first experiment with cartograms. I used the software that Gastner et al developed for the US election results (more information here).

Posted Image

I am fairly happy with the result, but I think it is more of a gimmick than something too informative. It would be easier to understand it too if all countries were on the 'gram, for this it is only developing countries.

Perhaps I should also work on the descriptive text more, it is not that easy to read/understand it.

For the (carto)graphic quality, I am quite happy. Except for the case of russia, like a flower on top and the arabian peninusla all squeezed up -- for even better results one would need a dataset with the different continents disconnected and floating in space.

I was too lazy to prepare it, and I am not sure how to do it (any tips are welcome!).

The graphic will be in a newspaper-like publication in the Environment Times series for the 2005 World Summit in September.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Overal, I agree, I think the cartographic quality is pretty good. I just wonder how informative it is for the average map reader? Then again, maybe your audience is familiar with cartograms. I might make the title a little bit larger and possibly change the "1 110 million" to 1.1 billion...

Very interesting...Erin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->