3 replies to this topic

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Just a quick question about manifold and hill shading. I cannot find any information if the option of hill shading is inlcuded in the poorest version "Manifold Personal" or to have this option is necessary to buy surface extension.

thanks in advance for answer
regards
Gregory

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Just a quick question about manifold and hill shading. I cannot find any information if the option of hill shading is inlcuded in the poorest version "Manifold Personal" or to have this option is necessary to buy surface extension.

Manifold integrates hill shading with it's surface coloring. You don't generate a separate "hillshade" (as useful as that would be). See attachment #1. There is no need to purchase Surface Tools for this effect.

If you want a separate hill shade image, you can sort of fake one by setting your surface coloring palette to all white (or all light-gray). See attachment #2. Though whether or not this is really a "true" analytic hill shade equivalent is a good question that I don't have an answer to.

Attached Files

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

thanks in advance for answer
regards
Gregory

You can also search http://forum.manifold.net/Site/ for some good tricks and tips on shaded relief. I personally use microdem (http://www.usna.edu/...te/microdem.htm) as it gives more options and better results I think. Once your surface is nicely shaded you can save it as a geotiff so it isn't a problem to bring it back to manifold.

Dom

Ps. Where about in Poland are you located? Not too many manifold users over here, so perhaps it would be nice to organize a local user's forum sometime, somehow...???
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Hi Mika;
Nice to hear voice from poland. I'm from cracow. Just send me a private msg so we could talk personally.
pozdrawiam :)
Gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->