16 replies to this topic

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Maplex can be nice if you have a lot of labelling to do. I can see it used by companies creating street map or other similarly label intensive maps. As most of my mapping is in environmental planning, it is not a necessary tool. BTW, I'm not sure if you are aware but you can get 30-day licenses to demo various components of the ArcGIS suite from ESRI. It might also help in your purchasing decisions.

As for preparing press-ready files in ArcGIS, it can be done. But expect problems, lots of problems. There are a variety of issues associated is ESRI's implementation of printing/exporting. Nearly all the problem are associated with the use of the Windows GDI library. This is the same graphics library used by Microsoft Office products. With the advent of direct-to-plate some of the issues have been fixed but most press shops will need to send your files through a Postscript RIP which will rarely accept files directly exported from ArcGIS (because of clipping paths, font issues, to many vertices, etc). The main problem is that both of ESRI'S EPS and PDF export and print-to-file formats write extremely sloppy postscript code, in terms of what RIPs expect. This is partially due to how GIS data is stored and partially due to how the GIS data is exported. The only reliable method I have found to prepare documents entirely in ArcGIS is to export to a CMYK PDF and rasterize the file in Photoshop and send a .PSD or .TIF file to the press shop.

There are a lot of little things that you have to remember to do while creating and exporting the map in ArcGIS. Use only CMYK colors (which display incorrectly in ArcGIS, so have a color book), use only proper OpenType fonts, when exporting always use resolutions divisible by 72, etc. The main thing would to build a good relationship with your press shop and have a small cash reserve to purchase lots of beer for the RIP operator. Personally, if its critical or very complex, I export out to Illustrator.

-Tom

greg585

greg585

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Australia

if you think you got ripped off . . . prices over here: 

ArcView CU: $7740.00 ex GST

ArcView SU: $4000.00 ex GST

Cost us $16,137.00 to upgrade from ArcView SU to ArcEditor SU