• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello all,

Just wanted to practice, have never been on forum before. I would like to know if anyone is having any difficulty understanding this map. My client is a cultural anthropologist who is presenting at a national conference. The region is a cultural/qualitative one, hence the diffuse boundaries.

It's great having an international and national perspective for vetting!

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

Whether or not a map is understandable usually depends on context. For instance, if your client is presenting this map and commenting on it, there shouldn't be any difficulty at all. In fact, just glancing at it, it appears to be a simple illustration map that pretty much speaks for itself.

But then again, those who are looking at it on this forum are all map people! I often do a "reality check" by showing my work to people who don't live and breathe maps, and I'm sometimes surprised at what I've taken for granted and what needs to be reworked for the sake of greater clarity.

As a mapmaker, I think this map works well, and it's certainly visually pleasing. What software did you use?

Charles Syrett
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I agree with Charles, the map works well. I would maybe make the AR-LA border a bit more obvious and move the scalebar to a different place (the scalebar is horizontal, but the state boundary just below it isn't, so they appear to be on a converging course, which looks kinda funky).

That's it really. The border thing may not even be that important if it has no anthropological effect.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

Where do these anthropologists come from? If they come from an int'l background, then it may be better to add a metric scale as well.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hey Kristian - thanks for sharing.

Nice map!
Right, at first glance I would give it a thumbs up, assuming you didn't spend a week working on it, and it is not the centerpiece of your client's presentation.
I would recommend a few things: Add a header bar at top for "Piney Hills Region" and move Ark and Louisiana to center states to match Miss and Texas.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

My only issue is with the use of a green tint for the focus area. There is a strong convention and association of green with protected areas, parks, vegetation, nature. I would use a different color for a social/cultural theme.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello, thanks for the responses. My client is an ethnobotanist, hence my choice in the green color. He is researching the relationship of distance of gathering plants to the plant knowledge that person has. In his research he uses the english measuring system that, I used it as well.

I have tried many different inset and scale bar combination, but I like this one best. I never noticed the convergence of the horizontal line in the scale bar, and now that bothers me as well. I didn't use a border for the states because I was trying to highlight the counties/parishes at the clients request. However, I will try to make it a little darker to see how it works.

The program that I use is Illustrator cs2.

Thanks again for all the comments, y'all have helped to point out things I may never had noticed.
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->