2 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

A client is interested in developing an intricate web map project and is particularly interested in working with a small firm in the US.
My thought is that this project would best be served with Flash media, though am open to all suggestions.

Below is his project description. Please email me with your (1) capabilities/portfolio work refs. and (2) ballpark cost, so we can begin further discussion.
Of course feel free to hit me up with questions as needed.

Thanks, Chris

================================
Am seeking to create a popular global website that is user friendly and fun to explore. This site would require every city in the world (2.5 to 3 million cities) to be hyperlinked as dots with the cities’ names on a map which would be accessible via drill down maps.

The user would come to the homepage where he would see a map/globe of the world. He would then be able to zoom down to the town level he is seeking by clicking successive maps that zero in on hyperlinked cities. When the user reaches the last needed zoom level to reach his destination, he can then click on the hyperlinked city itself which takes him to a page about that city. On this page our site will maintain a frame at the top of the page. We will also maintain a frame on all pages prior to the destination city.

Example: The user comes to the homepage. His cursor lights up an area such as a continent. The highlighted area is displayed as a map on the next page and, depending where the user’s cursor pointer was, a frame at the top of the page is shown above the map. So if the user clicked on N. America and his cursor was on the USA, a frame is displayed that our site will maintain that says “USA”. Below this USA frame is the next clickable map which shows that first area that was clicked on. Next, the user again clicks on an area that lights up a region. So if the user’s cursor was in the area of Georgia, a frame is then displayed saying “Georgia, USA” with a map of the region he clicked on displayed below the frame. This process continues until the user reaches the city he is searching for.

Highly populated areas will require more zoom down levels for clarity to reach the destination city. For example, to reach a small suburb of a major city metro area may require 10 clicks from the homepage where a small town in a sparsely populated area may be reachable by only 6 clicks. The user should understand he is able to click down to any city even though major cities might appear in earlier zoom levels. If possible, a high number of zoom levels should be built into the system for future development to plot other things such as city streets or landmarks.

The maps should show major cities and if possible major roads in the earliest zoom levels for points of reference.

The maps must be user friendly, clear and clean, showing distinct borders.

The map pages MUST load extremely fast.
===========================

Map Guy

Map Guy

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Check this site www.engelsmaps.com. PM me if this is close to what you want.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Check this site www.engelsmaps.com. PM me if this is close to what you want.

Thanks. That appears to be a click=Fixed Zoom on an image.
I need someone with advanced Flash capabilities who can build an app that allows user to drill-down from world>country>state/province>metro area>click/link on city (hyperlink variable). By City, I mean all major cities in the world, so if Flash is not the tool, I am open to alts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->