15 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

An interesting article in today's Globe and Mail on the much over-used comic sans. Interesting ot note that it was originally developed to be used with Microsoft Bob and was never meant to be printed.

(Font was intentional :) )

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Ban Comic Sans

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

of course, i agree! but seriously, when is the last time you saw comic sans in use? i haven't seen it for the past two years at least. i think the campaign worked!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

One of my clients actually uses it on a map... :rolleyes:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

My wife loves to use Comic Sans, despite all my efforts (or maybe in spite of them :P )

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I can see it's attraction, easily accessible (on most windows machines) and looks non-strict and more relaxed. I don't have such a big problem with the design (maybe a tad too simple), but it is just soooo overused. Everywhere.

And it is quite far from hand-lettered comics, which we all love (right?).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

And it is quite far from hand-lettered comics, which we all love (right?).

I love hand-lettered comics and other types of well-executed hand-lettering (like many old maps). :)

There are also many digital comic-lettering fonts and other types of informal fonts, even free ones, that have more character than comic sans if that's what someone is looking for. The drawback is you have to go find them. They don't just show up on your computer because you have Windows installed. I think that's the key for a lot of casual users. They don't go beyond the fonts they find on their computers (or they get those 500 fonts for $5 kind of thing).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Sweden

I think this capture's my hate for the font:

But it's not the benign ugliness of Comic Sans that people really seem to hate. It's the sentiment behind the benign ugliness. Writing an e-mail in Comic Sans, or using it in a brochure is tantamount to thumbing one's nose at the entire design establishment. Using Comic Sans is a flaunting of amateur disdain. The disdainful amateurs might not know it, but the enemies of Comic Sans sure do.

(quoted from the globe and mail article linked in the first post)
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

I can see it's attraction, easily accessible (on most windows machines) and looks non-strict and more relaxed. I don't have such a big problem with the design (maybe a tad too simple), but it is just soooo overused. Everywhere.

Agree with your there Frax—is not as much of an atrocity as people make outbut is the most over (and inappropriatly) used distinctive font ever. You still have Times, Arial, Verdana etc but their style is lot more subtle. Have started to see a lot of Bank Gothic and Paprus used over the last few years and am begining to lump them in with Comic Sans...
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Sweden

Some other fonts that I am not too fond of is Verdana and Tahoma, especially when Verdana is used for headings (it is designed to be easily read at small type).

Or how about when people use Courier (our derivative) for headings and stuff...
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

One of my clients actually uses it on a map... :rolleyes:

Yep - I get requests for comic sans and Times Roman for headers. Sometimes you hvae to say 'Your wish is my command' as opposed to 'you're absolutely nuts!'
And I should be fair: in my early GIS days I would use comic sans for labeling (engineer types esp. liked it). Then I took a crash course on design and typography!

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Yea you are totally right about Papyrus! I've definitely noticed it, never made the connection until now though. Worst offender - restaurant menus who think they can raise their prices because they made a new, over-sized menu using Papyrus font!

Agree with your there Frax—is not as much of an atrocity as people make outbut is the most over (and inappropriatly) used distinctive font ever. You still have Times, Arial, Verdana etc but their style is lot more subtle. Have started to see a lot of Bank Gothic and Paprus used over the last few years and am begining to lump them in with Comic Sans...

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Yep - I get requests for comic sans and Times Roman for headers. Sometimes you hvae to say 'Your wish is my command' as opposed to 'you're absolutely nuts!'

Indeed... been there and done that. Fortunately it wasn't about Comic Sans, but other fonts (all Futura instead of a Frutiger/Minion combo that I had suggested). Don't know what I'd done if it were Comic Sans though... :unsure:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Some other fonts that I am not too fond of is Verdana and Tahoma, especially when Verdana is used for headings (it is designed to be easily read at small type).

The default fonts in many applications are what the average person tends to stick with. Either that, or they go nuts with six different fonts all on the same page. :) I remember the early days of CorelDRAW where the default font was this hideous thing called Avalon, a really ugly sans serif font with nasty straight lines and harsh angles. You could spot drawings done in CorelDRAW by that font, alone.

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

hah. This thread reminds me of a thread on film-tech called "Trajan: The Most Overused Font in Movie Title Design" (unfortunately that forum doesn't allow direct links to threads, but if you search for it, its an interesting read.) I guess every industry has their own set of abused evil fonts

-Adam

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->