p-dub

p-dub

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while, and will express a common sentiment: This forum is a great resource.

I'm a BS candidate in Geo/GIS, but my real objective is cartography. I'm enrolled in a technical writing class that requires a project describing a topic or problem in my field. I was thinking of writing about typography or color in cartography. It needs to be written for a 'general audience'. Not general as in my local newspaper, but general in that you all would find it interesting, even though you may have a higher understanding of the subject. I was hoping that you all could direct me towards some essays or articles <I already have some good books by Brewer, Krygier, Slocum, etc...> or even another topic in cartography. Any ideas for other issues that might interest my writing professor <and ME>?

Also, is there any consensus on a writing style for cartography? My cart prof said Chicago would be fine, just wondering.

Thanks, and will post some maps for feedback soon.

Patrick Wild

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hello Patrick - thanks for introducing yourself!

Chris

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to Cartotalk. Your paper sounds interesting. While not relating specifically to cartography, I recently read an interesting article regarding the change in typeface for the Interestate Hwy signs.

Also, gave checked out Typebrewer?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

Hello Patrick,

The AAG Annals publishes manuscripts in the Chicago (15th edition) style. [Link]. So I would probably stick with that (assuming you're stateside). As far as source materials, definitely check out the works of Tufte. There is a wealth of information on color for the visually impaired, legibility of type, common assumptions about color that seem to be hard-wired in the human brain and how to work with them, etc.

Good luck on your paper. And post those samples!

-Adam

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

p-dub

p-dub

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • No Country Selected

Adam,

The AAG link was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I am familiar with Tufte's wonderful books, although I haven't seen his latest. Great call there, too.
BTW, CartoGaia is a very attractive site.

Matthew, I skimmed that article on the Hwy sign type, if I decide to write on typography I will read it in full. However, I am wavering on my subject...

Either of you guys mountaineer in the PNW?

Chris and the rest of y'all, hope to talk soon.

Patrick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->