• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Wondering if the upgrade to CS3 is worthwhile. I have MAPublisher that has now moved to 7.5 that doesn't work with CS from my understanding.
What version of AutoCAD can CS3 recognise?
Any comments are appreciated. I don't use it as a mainstream application but still important to me.
regards, Richard

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Wondering if the upgrade to CS3 is worthwhile. I have MAPublisher that has now moved to 7.5 that doesn't work with CS from my understanding.
What version of AutoCAD can CS3 recognise?
Any comments are appreciated. I don't use it as a mainstream application but still important to me.
regards, Richard

MAPublisher 7.5 indeed doesn't support CS anymore, so if you regulary use that combination, it's probabely a good idea to upgrade. As for Autocad support, I would imagine CS3 supports all existing DXF/DWG versions (although you can also import those through MAPublisher)

Haven't used CS3 myself yet, but if all goes well my copy will be arriving next week, so I'll be able to say a bit more about it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I agree with Hans. If you use Mapublisher on a regular basis then it's worth upgrading. CS3 has some great new features (better integration with Flash, Live color, multiple crops, document profiles, etc), but the real boost for me has been MP 7.5.

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

If you are on Windows and are even contemplating moving to Vista, you'll find CS3 has better support for it. CS and CS2 require that you run with various compatibility options set to avoid some issues with the palettes. Not that this is a serious issue, it's just annoying and if you're on the fence it might push you over.

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

thanks for comments
I'm on XP Pro, but on a brand new machine that will run Vista when time is right, hadn't thought of the 'Vista' thingo.
It's the MP 7.5 that really grabs my attention more than the AICS side.
regards Richard

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Be aware that the move to Vista from XP required me to re-activate Adobe Illustrator and changed my hardware id as seen by MAPublisher, requiring an re-activation there as well. This is the sort of thing software companies don't like to do, because of course we are all criminals copying software. :angry:

So, if you choose to upgrade to Vista, upgrade to CS3 and then upgrade MAPublisher, be sure to do so in that order.

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I found the upgrade well worth it. There's so many reasons to go from CS to CS3, not the least of which is performance of AI when dealing with a document that has thousands of text labels.

erik

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

again, thanks for input. I've now ordered the upgrade. The licenceing thing is getting more and more complicated but I appreciate the pirateing problem. Wireless cards (for internet access) have caused me grief in the past as programs have assumed I've networked when installing new card and upset my ID.
It'll be interesting to see how fast things work - I was interested to see your comment Erik on performance.
regards, Richard

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

The licenceing thing is getting more and more complicated

I appreciate that Adobe allows installation on two computers (ie laptop and work desktop), but wish they would expand that functionality to include a mac and a PC install. With a swanky dual-boot intel mac, I still need two full licenses to work on a single machine effectively. :(

Richard, have fun with your new toys!

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I appreciate that Adobe allows installation on two computers (ie laptop and work desktop), but wish they would expand that functionality to include a mac and a PC install. With a swanky dual-boot intel mac, I still need two full licenses to work on a single machine effectively. :(

I second that. I currently do not have a Mac, but my next laptop (I'm planning to replace my existing one somewhere next year) will almost definately be an Intel Macbook.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Be aware that the move to Vista from XP required me to re-activate Adobe Illustrator and changed my hardware id as seen by MAPublisher, requiring an re-activation there as well. This is the sort of thing software companies don't like to do, because of course we are all criminals copying software. :angry:

So, if you choose to upgrade to Vista, upgrade to CS3 and then upgrade MAPublisher, be sure to do so in that order.

Your host ID is different between XP & Vista as reported by MAPublisher? I haven't actually checked that but I'm surprised -- from my understanding of the way we get the host ID, I'd have guessed it would be the same. There isn't a whole l lot I can do about that since we get that ID from the same 3rd party library that handles our security system, but I'll take a look -- that does seem pretty annoying!

As for CS3, I've been working with it since we got betas late last year & I was immediately impressed with it. It feels a lot snappier than CS2 (which always felt super slow to me) and the UI enhancements they lifted from Freehand MX (the palette docking stuff) is really appreciated. I finally don't feel like I'm wasting real estate to have lots of palettes open anymore, since they can easily be collapsed to icons on the right & easily accessed.

Beyond that though, I'm not the one to ask :) Outside the general usability of the palettes I don't hit much that isn't MAPublisher, for obvious reasons!
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Your host ID is different between XP & Vista as reported by MAPublisher? I haven't actually checked that but I'm surprised -- from my understanding of the way we get the host ID, I'd have guessed it would be the same.

I suspect the problem in my case was related to going from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista. But it was still the same hardware...

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

I suspect the problem in my case was related to going from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista. But it was still the same hardware...

Thats just whast I envisage doing? Any other comments, but I'm a few months away yet.
Did your processing speed alter? How much RAM do you have? I have 4 gig at moment on my new PC and accept its probably not all getting used just now.
No doubt be far more support for software and drivers as time goes.
regards, Richard

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Thats just what I envisage doing? Any other comments, but I'm a few months away yet. Did your processing speed alter? How much RAM do you have? I have 4 gig at moment on my new PC and accept its probably not all getting used just now.

I have 4 GB of RAM, but will be moving to 6 GB soon. Maybe soon. ;)

The issues with 64 bit are more with the "64 bit" part than with Vista. The #1 problem is driver availability and quality, and it's been a huge hassle (but not an intolerable one). I had to buy a new scanner, my HP printer is supported by a "compatible printer" driver, and NVIDIA's 64-bit drivers on Vista are not very stable (and possibly XP 64 too? I don't know). Most annoying is that Microsoft's fingerprint reader is not supported on 64 bit at all, which is far more frustrating than it sounds.

Otherwise, it's been great. 4 GB of RAM is not quite wasted in 32 bit mode, as you can have multiple, memory-hungry apps open. But you can't have a process > 2GB.

For other compatibility issues, both with 64 bit and with Vista, I use VMWare to run XP in 32 bit mode. This is a very effective solution if you have a multi-core system and a second physical disk to hold the VM image.

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Your host ID is different between XP & Vista as reported by MAPublisher? I haven't actually checked that but I'm surprised -- from my understanding of the way we get the host ID, I'd have guessed it would be the same.

I'm running both 32-bit versions of XP & Vista on my machine here at work and it has the same host ID for both. As near as I can figure without installing Vista 64-bit, it should be the same on that version too, understanding as I do how it gets the host ID. I'm not sure why it would give you a different host ID in your case. So long as no hardware changes, you should theoretically be able to switch to any OS on the same machine and still have it work. In fact, if it wasn't for windows & mac versions of MAPublisher having different feature names you should theoretically be able to use the same license for both OSes on a Boot Camp'd Mac running XP/Vista & OSX.

At any rate, that isn't by design, and I hope it isn't typical of an upgrade experience!
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->