• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

mactowne

mactowne

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I have a PDF file with a couple of layers of information that I need to add to an existing map file that I created in Manifold. I created the map in order to overlay some vector data on an aerial photo with matched projections, then export to AutoCAD (ultimately I'm going into Adobe Illustrator to create some diagrams). Does anyone know whether you can get a PDF into Manifold, determine / change the projection, then extract some of the PDF layers to an existing map? Thanks!

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

You can't import a PDF directly into Manifold.

I've had decent success with PDF to DXF converters. Most are pretty pricey, but some offer a trial period so you can see what you're getting. Then it's just a simple matter of georeferencing the drawing.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Open the pdf in Illustrator, export to dxf, take into manifold to geo-ref and scale etc and I think you should be right from there.

One issue is determining th eprojection of the initial pdf - that's just trial and error of laying it over different data. For that it might be quicker to export some basic data in different projections to Illustrator to work out the projection before you take it back into Manifold.

Cheers,

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

mactowne

mactowne

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the suggestion. That all worked out okay but I can't figure out what the PDF projection / coordinate system are. I think I can get by with what I have though. Cheers,

Matt

Open the pdf in Illustrator, export to dxf, take into manifold to geo-ref and scale etc and I think you should be right from there.

One issue is determining th eprojection of the initial pdf - that's just trial and error of laying it over different data. For that it might be quicker to export some basic data in different projections to Illustrator to work out the projection before you take it back into Manifold.

Cheers,

Sam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->