• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Using Illustrator CS2...

While producing a complex map, I found out that on one layer the symbols (thousands...) accidentally got duplicated. That is, at *almost* every location where the symbol occurs, there's 2 of them right on top of eachother (the *almost* is because I manually deleted a few before catching on to this). Obviously, I don't want this. It makes the file more complex than it should be and since editing this beast is a bad enough task as it is, I'd like to reduce some complexity.

Any ideas how I can get rid of the extra symbols? Re-importing is not an option because there has been quite a bit of manual work done on them already. Manually removing thousands of them is not something I'm looking forward to either... :rolleyes:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Perhaps you could select everything on the layer and use the pathfinder palette (add to shape area) to flatten duplicates into one symbol.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

Perhaps you could select everything on the layer and use the pathfinder palette (add to shape area) to flatten duplicates into one symbol.

Worth a try... It would mean I'd convert symbols into paths though... Also, Pathfinder and complex operations is something I'm really weary of :unsure:

I'll make an attempt after dinner, see if it does any good.
Red Geographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

you can always replace the paths with symbols again later.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

patdunlavey

patdunlavey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

One possibiliity that I'm not sure is practical, but worth looking into. **Working on a copy of the file**:
  • Set your layers palette display option so that objects are listed.
  • Expand the symbols layer so that all the symbols are listed.
  • Inspect and see if the duplicated symbols are grouped together in the list, if so...
  • Shift-select them on the layers list - this might be tricky to get right
  • Delete

Pat Dunlavey
www.pdcarto.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

One long shot suggestion.

With MapPublisher review the internal attribute data to see if there is a notable difference between the two symbol set. If so great, reselect one set based on the different attribute and delete.

Might also what to look up to see if a script as been done to that regards...

Good luck
Chart

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

Another long shot. If you use VersionCue or have incremental backups, see if you had a version of the document that had the single copy of symbols. Restore that file to a temporary location and copy/paste the single set of symbols into your newer doc.

erik

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

Unfortunately, no Version Cue or MAPublisher attributes (this map was compiled by taking layers from various subcontractors).

I tried Matthew's suggestion, but that seems to mutilate my symbols and I don't really want to go there, to be honest.
Red Geographics

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Unfortunately, no Version Cue or MAPublisher attributes (this map was compiled by taking layers from various subcontractors).

I tried Matthew's suggestion, but that seems to mutilate my symbols and I don't really want to go there, to be honest.

another rather long shot - can you export the symbols as points in MAPublisher, then there will obviously be 2 sets of points (original and duplicate) with xy coords.
Are they lat/long or east/ north?
Could you then use someother software (Manifold or other GIS) to remove the duplicates and finally reimport into CS2?
regards, Richard

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

another rather long shot - can you export the symbols as points in MAPublisher, then there will obviously be 2 sets of points (original and duplicate) with xy coords.
Are they lat/long or east/ north?
Could you then use someother software (Manifold or other GIS) to remove the duplicates and finally reimport into CS2?
regards, Richard

If the rotation can somehow be saved, this could indeed be the solution. However... when you export symbols using MAPublisher, the symbol rotation is not saved :(

Anyway, due to a tight deadline, I decided to go with it as-is. Shame, but we'll live... Thanks for all the suggestions though.
Red Geographics

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

You might be able to get at the symbols easily in the layers palette. I am thinking if you accidentally copied them they will be on the top of the drawing stack for the layer. If you expand the layer all the way in the layers palette you might have in easy way to just delete the ones on top... They will likely be all together.

Good luck!

Rich

patdunlavey

patdunlavey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

You might be able to get at the symbols easily in the layers palette. I am thinking if you accidentally copied them they will be on the top of the drawing stack for the layer. If you expand the layer all the way in the layers palette you might have in easy way to just delete the ones on top... They will likely be all together.
Good luck!
Rich

Hey - you stole my idea! ;-)
Pat Dunlavey
www.pdcarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

Good luck!
Rich

Hey - you stole my idea! ;-)

I have to admit I didn't try this one, but I'm having a hard time imagining how this would work with more than 1000 elements on the layer. Even assuming they are ordered, how on earth would you find out where the 'tops' end and the 'bottoms' start? Trial and error, lots of scrolling around in the layers pallette, yes, but wouldn't it be a time-consuming thing? (and still, that's assuming they are ordered, but how can I find out for sure?)
Red Geographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

If all of the copied symbols fall below or above your original points and remain together, why couldn't you create a new attribute column in the table, assign each row its proper row number and then use the attribute palette to select and delete either the top half or the bottom half of the list? Essentially you could try and recreate an FID without losing your work. You could also try exporting as a .shp file in order to generate an FID column and then join the new column with your dataset. Either way, there should be a fast way to do this using an attribute if you can identify where the points are in the layer and if they are in order. I tested this with four points and four copies and it looks doable. Points FID 0-3 are my originals points 4-7 are the copies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->