7 replies to this topic

hugohiram

hugohiram

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Spain

Hello,

I have two shapefiles: one with the blocks (polygons) of a city, and another with the names of the streets (points).

Is there any way to create the streets (polylines) with the data that I have?

regards.

Hugo Hiram

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

One very roundabout idea: set the background to black, the blocks to fill with white, then export to a bitmap file. Open in Illustrator CS3. Try tracing the bitmap and see if you get decent lines for the streets. There are many options in the live trace dialog to experiment with, including forcing straight lines to be built.

erik

hugohiram

hugohiram

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Spain

mmhhh... What I really want is to have a new Shapefile with the streets, not an image of the streets.

If possible, with names, but not necessary because I cann add the attribute later.

regards

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

mmhhh... What I really want is to have a new Shapefile with the streets, not an image of the streets.

If possible, with names, but not necessary because I cann add the attribute later.

Then your only option would be manual digitizing and adding attributes, followed by an export to shapefile.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

So what happens after you LiveTrace a bitmap is you have vectors which could be exported to DXF and re-imported into a GIS environment. The bitmap was just a phase to go through.

It's probably a wild and crazy idea, may not be practical.

erik

hphillips

hphillips

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

If you have access to ArcView and the street centerlines are what you want, you might find Ianko's method useful: http://www.ian-ko.co...urces/howto.htm (Create street center lines from a cadastral polygons). You still have the job of connecting the street names to the road segments however.
Hugh Phillips
Andover, MN

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I was going to recommend the same tool. It should be just the right tool, with a little trial and error.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

There is probably a way to explode those blocks to lines, add code to the lines based on which side they were on and then displace them a certain distance based on the midpoint between the original blocks to get a centerline. You can then buffer the lines or the points and do a spatial join to pass on the attributes of the points to the lines. Finally you can dissolve based on the street name and build your network that way. Probably a bit of work to get it right but well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->