jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Web-Based Mapping, Mapping in Art & New Media
  • United States

Do folks out there know about availability of GIS Data, specifically ESRI shapefiles for tourist maps I'm trying to make for a tour guide company for Beijing, China and Toronto, Canada? Toronto shouldn't be that hard but I'm having trouble tracking down a good, reliable data source. Beijing is a mystery to me. I need data associated with (roads, railroads, hydrography, subway, landmarks, parks, etc. Free is ideal but if I have to pay I can do that as well. Does anyone have any leads? thanks alot!

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

For Toronto data . . . go to the Geography Network Canada and access the online mapping portals to define your areas. The Ontario Base Map will provide GIS data for all topographic features for the Toronto area at 1:10,000. The Ontario Road Network will provide road data at a similar scale. The road network data is more complete than what you would find in the Base Map.

Alternatively, you could access Natural Resources Canada and download data from there at scales of 1:50,000 and 1:250,000. Use the National Topographic Data Base or the Canvec. You could download a stripped down version of the Ontario Road Network from Geobase (contains fewer fields). Geobase also has digital elevation data.

All the data is free; however, you will probably need to do some clean up and updating.

As for Beijing . . . ?

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

The comprehensive dataset is quite old. You're better off finding existing maps and trace for details needed.

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Do folks out there know about availability of GIS Data, specifically ESRI shapefiles for tourist maps I'm trying to make for a tour guide company for Beijing, China and Toronto, Canada? Toronto shouldn't be that hard but I'm having trouble tracking down a good, reliable data source. Beijing is a mystery to me. I need data associated with (roads, railroads, hydrography, subway, landmarks, parks, etc. Free is ideal but if I have to pay I can do that as well. Does anyone have any leads? thanks alot!

Any luck finding Beijing data? I am also interested in free or commercial sources, other than create my own from low rez satellite/aerial photo's. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Doug
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->