Photo

Where are all the Universal binary DEM tools (for Mac?)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I have been using a variety of DEM tools over the years. I have read every page on shadedrelief.com ... There are a whole passel of tools such as DEMview, DEM Reader, and MacDEM which I'm not sure have a future on the Intel-based Mac platform. Many of them are still Mac Classic applications which will never run using the Rosetta binary translator technology. I mean it was hard enough running them on a PPC machine using the Classic emulator.

I have Bryce but it is hard to meld many DEMs together and then do shaded relief in Bryce. Actually there are many aspects of the process which are hard in Bryce, and I've done quite a bit of time doing 3D renderings of geographies using Bryce.

What do you recommend for straight down shaded relief using DEM files on a Macintel box? Ideally the tool will allow you to specify the angle and height of the light source, as well as the degree of vertical exaggeration, and cost less than $150.

thanks--erik

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I hope that there are more options (MacIntel native) out there... no one uses the new Intel Macs to create shaded relief?

erik

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

I too am desperate for an answer to this question. Even a robust photoshop plugin would be helpful. Now that CS3-Extended has some cool 3D support, I would hope something is in the pipes, but I haven't heard a thing.

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->