5 replies to this topic

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I'm looking for a zip code map or shapefiles that depict the zip codes within the state of Oregon. I'm looking for both 3 digit and 4 digit areas. Even 5 digit would be OK as I could combine the areas back up.

Funny thing is, the government appears not to distribute a zip code map. At least the USGS says it doesn't:
http://interactive2....swer.asp?id=551

Does anyone have this data and able to share it? Or know where you can get it for free?

Thanks!

erik

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

Erik,

You can find the 5 digit zip code files on the U.S. Census Bureau site. See the following URL:

http://www.census.go...cob/z52000.html

Rich

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

Thank you very much. I tried 5 approaches to googling it but was only getting commercial vendors.

erik

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

You can find more info and a nice Google interface on http://maps.huge.info as well.

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

That is excellent! Now I can cross-check. Thank you.

erik

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • United States

Be sure to read the "Descriptions and Metadata" (link at the bottom) on the Census web site. This explains the nature of ZCTAs, which are not ZIP Codes. Basically, ZIP Codes are not an areal feature at all, but a kind of linear (or even point) type feature. ZCTAs are an attempt to approximate ZIP Codes in an areal fashion.

A ZIP Code tabulation area (ZCTA) is a statistical geographic entity that approximates the delivery area for a U.S. Postal Service five-digit or three-digit ZIP Code. ZCTAs are aggregations of census blocks that have the same predominant ZIP Code associated with the addresses in the U.S. Census Bureau's Master Address File (MAF). Three-digit ZCTA codes are applied to large contiguous areas for which the U.S. Census Bureau does not have five-digit ZIP Code information in its MAF. ZCTAs do not precisely depict ZIP Code delivery areas, and do not include all ZIP Codes used for mail delivery. The U.S. Census Bureau has established ZCTAs as a new geographic entity similar to, but replacing, data tabulations for ZIP Codes undertaken in conjunction with the 1990 and earlier censuses.

Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->