Steve Young

Steve Young

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Hi folks,

I'm involved in a development project looking at possible sites for a treatment plant. As part of the process I've been tasked if determining if the polyons would accommodate a rectangle of length width ratio of 2:1 (max) and fixed area.

So far the best solution I've come up with is a raster analysis using a moving window. This would confine me to a square and wouldn't capture any rotation, so combined with the fuzziness introduced by rasterizing it would only be of limited use. Something that can do a best fit of a circle would be a better solution. I suspect there won't be anything that will give me exactly what I want, so I'm prepared to settle for only 95% :).

Any thoughts or solutions on how I could conduct this analysis are appreciated. I'm using ArcInfo, but open to other solutions.

Thanks,

Steve

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Steve,

I've got a Python script that runs with ArcGIS that will produce a rotated minimum bounding rectangle for each polygon. I've also got one adds attributes to your polygon data describing these characteristics of the minimum bounding rectangle: Length, Width, Length to width ratio, and Percentage of the rMBR that the original polygon occupies.

If these will work for you, i.e., you've got ArcGIS 9.2, send me a PM with your email and I'll send the scripts to you.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

Falko Martin

Falko Martin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Germany

Steve,

I've got a Python script that runs with ArcGIS that will produce a rotated minimum bounding rectangle for each polygon. I've also got one adds attributes to your polygon data describing these characteristics of the minimum bounding rectangle: Length, Width, Length to width ratio, and Percentage of the rMBR that the original polygon occupies.

If these will work for you, i.e., you've got ArcGIS 9.2, send me a PM with your email and I'll send the scripts to you.

Hi Charly,

i found this message on the board today - I am currently trying to identify polygons which meet the criteria to fit squares which are sized eg 300 by 300 meters. I am an intern at ESRI Germany in Kranzberg - maybe you can help me in this matter? In the message above you decribed a python script - might that be what I'm searching for?

Best regards,
Falko

cbrydon

cbrydon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Steve,

Hi Charlie,

I am working on a similar problem and am wondering if your python script is still available?

Thank You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->