Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I wonder if anyone knows anything more about Ortelius:

http://apptree.net/ortelius.htm

There was a note on The Map Room about it. I've sent the developer a note about coming to NACIS, but it looks like he's in Australia and mapping may not be his central interest.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

I wonder if anyone knows anything more about Ortelius:

http://apptree.net/ortelius.htm

There was a note on The Map Room about it. I've sent the developer a note about coming to NACIS, but it looks like he's in Australia and mapping may not be his central interest.

Hi Dennis,

While it's been a while since your post I do have an update. Graham Cox is the developer of Ortelius (you're correct he's in Australia). Though not a cartographer himself, Graham started working on Ortelius out of his love for maps and frustration over the relative dearth of mapping software for the Mac platform (as a geographer and Mac user I've shared this frustration ;) ). Graham built the drawing engine DrawKit very much with Ortelius in mind. With DrawKit complete (beta4), Ortelius is in the pipe for a first version release in early 2009.

Last spring Graham and I partnered on Ortelius. I'm quite excited to be working with Graham on affordable map illustration software that fills a gap between GIS and standard drawing programs. We've submitted a workshop abstract to introduce Ortelius at the March 2009 AAG conference in Las Vegas. While my own background has been heavy in the geospatial industry, I'm a relative new comer to NACIS and I'm really looking forward to attending the 2009 NACIS conference.

Sincerely,

Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Ortelius™ – map illustration software for Mac OS X
www.mapdiva.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Wow. This looks very intriguing. I would love to play around with it and see if it can speed-up my workflow. I wonder how well it integrates with other apps and how it handles rasters/projections. It sounds like quite a value!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->