3 replies to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Has anyone ever used the MapBook add-on to ArcView? In short it's an atlas program that creates tiled subsections of an area for output automatically. I am creating an atlas for a corridor that has 30 tiles (30 - 11x17 PDFs). Each tile is a snapshot of a highway corridor with symbols for crosswalks, bus stops, etc. The corridor is neither truly east-west nor north-south; it meanders in both of these directions with each tile reorienting itself to get the best fit for the corridor on each page. So some tiles north might be at the top of the page and for others north might be to the left, or top-left, or top-right depending on which way fits best. That being said, even though the corridor is oriented to the page now, all of my symbols are oriented to north; not the top of the page. So I'll have a situation where all of the symbols are "rotated" to the right by 15 degrees on one tile and then "rotated" to the left by 30 degrees on the next.

Is there a way to orient my symbology to the top of the page rather than to north? I don't know if there's a way or not but thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

With some quick experimenting within ArcGIS I have a potential solution for you. If your symbol is through a font class then symbolize your points as a label. This will keep the symbol with a horizontal alignment to the page.

An example of how to do this is as follows. If you are using the ESRI Hospital Symbol, then set your point symbol to be a circle with no color. Then under the label tab click on the Expression button. Type “v” and OK out of that screen. (v is the character which represents the hospital symbol within the ESRI Default Marker font. You can use Character Map to help find this). Then select your font as ESRI Default Marker and the appropriate color and font size for your map. Click on the Placement Properties button and change your Point settings to “Place label on top of the point:”

I hope this helps. Again this works if your point symbols are derived from a font class.

Kevin
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Genius!

That works wonderfully! Thanks for the help!

Eric

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

There is also the AdvancedArcMapSettings utility that allows you to choose whether marker symbols get rotated with data frame rotation.
Go to your ArcGIS install location (by default C:\Program Files\ArcGIS) to the Utilities folder and run the AdvancedArcMapSettings.exe
In the Asvanced Settings Dialog select the Data Frame/TOC tab
In the lower right you should find a checkbox to "Rotate marker symbols with data frame"
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->