gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Hello:
I try to get graph represantation of an network dataset (ArcGIS). The way i want to get it, its to split the network at every intersection and the generalize the roads to straight lines. The problem is that the Split tool from Spatial Analyst extension doesnt allow my to use the point layer of junctions (or any othe point shapefile) as the one which will split the network dataset at interesections... Any sugestions? I have also access to shapefile vector layer of thay network.
thanks in advance
gregory

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Gregory,

To split the roads where they intersect you will need to use the Feature to Line tool, which will require that you break your network into separate datasets, based, for instance on road class. The idea is that if you have highways, major roads, and minor roads as separate feature classes to input to the Feature to line tool you will get features back that are now broken by where they intersected with the other feature classes.

I wrote a blog entry on this not long ago that also gets into some of the generalization issues. The main idea was to preserve the location of the intersections between features when generalizing not only roads, but also any other line or polygon data.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

thank you Charlie;
just to end this topic...
I found that to do that task it's also posiblle to use planarazie lines from topology bar. In some cases its even better while using road classes in feature to line tool may cause in some cases spliting straigh road (if it changes its class couple times fluiditlly not intersecting any other road on the way) into some pieces that cannot represent arc in the graph.
regards
gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->