• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thanks for coming - it's the members that really make it happen. A party is no fun if no-one shows up. I'm interested in any comments people may have on the conference, good and bad, as we plan Missoula in '08.

Just got back home (I spent a couple of days with some friends in Minnesota, hence my late return...), still groggy and jet-lagged but I'd like to echo Michael's comments. It was another great event and I certainly hope to make it to Missoula.

[hat off to the organisers]
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

I'm interested in any comments people may have on the conference, good and bad, as we plan Missoula in '08.

mike

Hi Mike!

Some quick comments on the 2007 conference after I've had a week or so to digest things and settle back into my normal routine:

1. Location. It has nothing to do with the conference program, but I am hoping that future conferences will take place in a property/location that is a bit more pedestrian friendly. The interior of the property itself was fine (though a bit confusing at first), but as soon as I went outside, I felt like I was "playing in traffic." It's probably just the tree-hugger in me, but that location was probably one of the most car-oriented properties I have ever been to related to attending conference activities.

2. Program. I have to say that I LOVED Ginny's Pecha Kucha sessions that she organized after the banquet. I was a bit nervous about presenting, since its tough to try and stick to a rigid 20 seconds per slide (you know me...I'm a wind-bag, LOL). I really hope that becomes an annual tradition at the conference though, as I thought the diversity of topics was very interesting and done well by all the presenters.

3. In keeping with my comments above (#2), I am wondering if it might be interesting to try more sessions at future conferences, with less time for each session. I know a problem might be getting enough presenters to fill all those slots! However, it would really help attendees to "customize" the conference to their own particular interests. I attended a conference in New York (HighEdWebDev2007) immediately following NACIS, and they had 13 sets of 30 and 60-minute sessions in 5 tracks (65 workshops in total). That was FABULOUS...as they had so much variety on the docket that nobody could possibly complain about subject matter.

Just a few thoughts about the conference. Hope that feedback helps!
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Great conference. Lots of food for thought... Huzzah to the organizers!

In keeping with my comments above..., I am wondering if it might be interesting to try more sessions at future conferences, with less time for each session. I know a problem might be getting enough presenters to fill all those slots! However, it would really help attendees to "customize" the conference to their own particular interests. I attended a conference in New York (HighEdWebDev2007) immediately following NACIS, and they had 13 sets of 30 and 60-minute sessions in 5 tracks (65 workshops in total). That was FABULOUS...as they had so much variety on the docket that nobody could possibly complain about subject matter.

And I actually go the other way; I liked that there was only one track on Friday. There were some sessions I had to jump between on Thursday to get to papers I wanted to see. I think our subject matter is narrow enough we seldom have a session that doesn't apply (OK, there's usually one or two out of the whole conference for me).

On the other hand, I miss the round-tables and panels we've had in the past.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hey Mike,

I'll follow Derek's lead and use the same format:

1. Location: The hotel was fine. Leaving the hotel was like waking up to find yourself trapped inside that old video game "Frogger". By the time I left the hotel I was in need of a serious walk.

2. Program: Pecha Kucha stole the show for me. The quick presentation style and the wide range of topics held my attention from start to end. All of the presenters did an amazing job. The conference sessions were excellent as well, although, I prefer more sessions running concurrently.

It would great if we can think of a way to get more conference attendees to vote in the student mapping competition. If you've every been a student and entered one of those things then you know how much work goes into the maps and posters. Is it possible to have students post their projects as PDFs on the NACIS website and then give members a chance to vote when they register for the conference? All of the student submissions were outstanding.

It was great meeting many of you for the first time! See ya next year.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Boy I can't wait to join NACIS, hope to see you all eventually there. After all this is one of the reasons I took Cartography, a chance to meet new people, travel to other locations, seminars, & above all my love of maps. ;)

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

waypoints

waypoints

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Geospatial Technologies, Cartography, Geography
  • United States

Feedback

I gained insight from the presentations and met a few new people (especially the young and enthusiastic). The hotel was nice but had that suburban, pedestrian unfriendly, feeling. Cartography is still my first love and I am certain its search finds it deserving place. Sometimes I feel I have sold my soul to technology but in many ways I think it will enable us to express more. Cartographers make maps our users interact, annotate them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->