• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Unfortunately due to a family emergency I had to cancel my trip to St. Louis for NACIS just yesterday. I am very sad not to be attending this year, but I will certainly be looking forward to next year. Have a beer in my honor.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Nick. Good luck with sorting out that emergency and hopefully we'll see you next year.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Nick,
I hope all is well on the homefront. I'll be sure to have a beer or two in your honor.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Looks like the hotel is at an easy-on / easy-off access point to the Interstate...I'll be driving down from Madison

Highway 40/Interstate 64 is under construction between the hotel and downtown. If driving directly to the hotel, I'd recommend taking I-270 around the northwest shoulder of the metro area, then coming east a couple miles on I-64 to the Lindbergh South exit.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

waypoints

waypoints

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Geospatial Technologies, Cartography, Geography
  • United States

Unfortunately due to a family emergency I had to cancel my trip to St. Louis for NACIS just yesterday. I am very sad not to be attending this year, but I will certainly be looking forward to next year. Have a beer in my honor.

Sorry to hear you can't be there Nick but I will be sure to have a pint in your honor! More importantly, I hope you find thrifty and positive resolve.

Best,
Michael

seemann

seemann

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:* Social and cultural contexts in maps/mappings<br />* Different (or alternative) ways of thinking, perceiving and representing space and place<br />* Interface cartography/cultural geography
  • United States

:blink:Good morning you all,

planning my trip to the NACIS meeting, I was wondering about the hotel rooms. I have made a reservation at the Hilton-Frontenac and asked myself if there isn't anyone out there (in geographical space) to share the room with me. As a kind of "alien hillbilly" (a German who has been living in Brazil, but is "PhD-ing" at LSU), I haven't got many contacts, neither do I know who is going to attend the conference. Any tip would be helpful for me. See you at the meeting.

Jörn Seemann

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

FYI for those flying in to NACIS.

This may be obvious to others, but I just checked to be sure:

There is no easy public transit from the airport to the hotel, but there is a hotel shuttle. As soon as you have your bags, call 314-993-1100 and they will tell you if there is a shuttle there and if not they will send one.

Perhaps we should plan on a NACIS event amongst ourselves ahead of time, especially given Nick's unfortunate absence. How about dinner after Practical Cartography Day? Are there carto-talkers among us who aren't arriving 'til Thursday?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

FYI for those flying in to NACIS.

This may be obvious to others, but I just checked to be sure:

There is no easy public transit from the airport to the hotel, but there is a hotel shuttle. As soon as you have your bags, call 314-993-1100 and they will tell you if there is a shuttle there and if not they will send one.

Perhaps we should plan on a NACIS event amongst ourselves ahead of time, especially given Nick's unfortunate absence. How about dinner after Practical Cartography Day? Are there carto-talkers among us who aren't arriving 'til Thursday?

Thanks for posting the shuttle information Nat. I was planning on taking a cab.

I'd like to meet for a cartotalk dinner as well, but so far the organizational effort has been luke warm. Dinner after Practical Cartography day works for me. That makes two of us (and it's probably safe to include Hans). Anyone else?

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm in.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

You can certainly count me in!

Currently in San Diego (jetlagged, after travelling for 24 hours to get there) to spend the weekend with some good friends. Will arrive in St Louis on Tuesday, around 6 pm.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

waypoints

waypoints

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Geospatial Technologies, Cartography, Geography
  • United States

I will be there Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night only. If anyone wants to meet up for dinner. Send me an msg so we can exchange info/plan. The last time I was in St. Louis was in 1979 so I really know absolutely nothing about the town.

Michael

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Wednesday it is then. OK, the Practical Cartography Day session ends at 4:45, and the Map-Off begins at 7 pm. So let's meet at 5 pm in the lobby, and find someplace close by.

I'm out of communication now pretty much until I'm in St Louis Tuesday night (I did not bring my laptop). So, I hope this works and see you all there!

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

Wednesday it is then. OK, the Practical Cartography Day session ends at 4:45, and the Map-Off begins at 7 pm. So let's meet at 5 pm in the lobby, and find someplace close by.

I'm out of communication now pretty much until I'm in St Louis Tuesday night (I did not bring my laptop). So, I hope this works and see you all there!

Sounds good Nat. See everyone in the lobby at 5:00. Happy travels everyone!

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Sounds good Nat. See everyone in the lobby at 5:00. Happy travels everyone!

Great, see you there.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I just wanted to thank all of the NACIS execs for organizing a very successful conference!

We had a small CartoTalk dinner that was attended by Hans, Nat, Erin, Derek, and myself.

The Hospitality Suite was happening as usual, thanks to Nick who was hosting (who isn't on CartoTalk yet, but will be signing up) and of course the NACIS execs and members who filled the room with good cheese, snacks, drinks, and conversation!

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

I just wanted to thank all of the NACIS execs for organizing a very successful conference!

Thanks for coming - it's the members that really make it happen. A party is no fun if no-one shows up. I'm interested in any comments people may have on the conference, good and bad, as we plan Missoula in '08.

mike
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->