3 replies to this topic

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

We are currently using the DS Map Book for the production of the fire run book. However we are looking into going with MapLogic Layout Manager or ESRI's PLTS. If you have used either of these products, what positive/negatives have you experienced with them? Would you recommend one over another and if so, why? I am currently testing the MapLogic product and plan to then compare my results with what PLTS can do. I can post my results to this discussion chain if people are interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Kevin,
Welcome to the forum.
We've been testing Maplogic for the past 20 or so days on a mock digital Atlas. So far the results have been super positive and we've been able to do everything we need to by following the basic tutorials that came with it, which is great. As far as side-by-side comparisons with PLTS, hopefully someone with experience with that extension could chime in. We really wanted to test PLTS, but we had a difficult time getting our hands on the extension when we really needed it. I believe we have a disk now, but it took a couple of weeks to get it. We've also never been able to nail down the cost. Maplogic made both of those tasks nice and easy. So that's what we are going with for the time being.

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

We've been experimenting with PLTS for the last couple of months. I have a couple of people putting together a presentation on how they are using it, along with the pitfalls and successes they've experienced with it.

I'll try to get ahold of some of that information, and pass it along.

My own personal experience is with DSMapbook, which I liked, but felt it was 'clunky'. I did sit through a 20 minute demo of PLTS Map Atlas at the ESRI Conference, and was very impressed by it. I've not tried MapLogic, so I can't give you any real comparison between the two, though.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Netty

Netty

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Kevin,
Were you ever able to compare the two products? We like MapLogic, but I don't know anything about PLTS. Are the two comparable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->