David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I need some help.

Normally, we don't have big print jobs. Occasionally, we might do a multipage atlas, but that's something our Base print shop can handle.

I have a poster that is E size (44 x 34). Our print shop can't handle it. I've asked my contract staff to obtain some quotes, but the quotes are blowing me away right now. I'm looking for some suggestions (or conformation that the numbers are accurate).

The map is a one-sided poster, in full color. We only need 100 copies (which I'm sure is part of the problem). I would like these to be folded down to something close to 8 1/2 x 11. Margins are 1 1/2 inches.

Best quoted price I've gotten so far is $36 a map, which includes the folding. I was hoping for something a little (okay a lot) less expensive then that.

Any suggestions?
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

You're at an awkward in-between spot.

For inkjet plotting, done one at a time, you're going to pay somewhere around $10/square foot.

For offset printing, your sheet size is too large for many companies, and you'll have a big setup charge to divide among a small number of copies. (1000 copies would probably cost you only $30 more than 100 copies will). Any chance you could reduce the map size to 26 x 35? You could probably find someone around $800 for 100 copies that size.

I would try to find an electrostatic process, if that quality is acceptable to you. Try Large Format Digital in Madison, WI, or Bigposters on Long Island.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I realized this afternoon that we didn't specify a paper weight, and that might be causing some problem as well.

But, it is possible that we could reset the size of the map. My internal shop has always been set up for the large archetectual sizes (like D size and E size) just out of habit. But there is nothing preventing us from changing sizes, if we can.

I will test it out at the small size, and see how we do. Any other standard sizes, other than 26x35, that we might want to explore?
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I will test it out at the small size, and see how we do. Any other standard sizes, other than 26x35, that we might want to explore?

For offset printing, 28 x 40" is a traditional breaking point for sheet size (there are certainnly lots of presses with larger sheet size, but expect prices to jump 150% or more when you move to a larger press, especially for a small print run); with gripper and safe zone, maximum usable print area including bleed on a 28 x 40 is about 26.5 x 39.25."

For inkjet printing, the width is the delimiter of course, and plotters come in a wide variety of widths.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I've had excellent experiences with Bigposters. Very nice quality printing, fast turn around and good service. i'm not sure what the unit cost would be for that size of a run but they do offer some bulk discounts.

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->