http://www.shanghaid...icle_324256.htm

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

My own experience also seems to indicate that the Chinese government does not take kindly to names that are half missing or obscured (but not on any grounds of poor cartographic quality, I think). For instance, a map that is cropped from a larger map that shows only part of city, region or country names is not acceptable. I don't have a reference link to that; this is only based on experience that we have had in the past year.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

a map that is cropped from a larger map that shows only part of city, region or country names is not acceptable

That seems very strange to me. How would you then present a map that focuses on any details? Actually, come to think of it, I suppose it is only a question of title. If one made a map called (say) the business district of Beijing you would need to call it that and not just 'Beijing.'
Maybe the source is just a particular sensitivity about maps that touch upon politically sensitive stuff like disputed borders and islands.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

How would you then present a map that focuses on any details?

By editing out the incomplete names. You wouldn't publish a metro map that went from Masco to Ch√Ętea, from stache to Longe.

This is a point of pride with me, to not have incomplete streetnames in multipage layouts. However, if I ever have to change from FreeHand to Illustrator, I don't know of any way to accomplish it since AI lacks FreeHand's lens fill feature and can't do multiple pages.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

This is a point of pride with me, to not have incomplete streetnames in multipage layouts. However, if I ever have to change from FreeHand to Illustrator, I don't know of any way to accomplish it since AI lacks FreeHand's lens fill feature and can't do multiple pages.

We have a couple AI bases which find multiple uses. We have a template layer on which are drawn frames for each use. We also have use-specific layers like "laminate map on" and "laminate map off". We can save the master file into the job folder and then turn on/off the layers we need for that job. It gets clunky for the files that get used in lots and lots of publications, but at the moment it's only an issue for one of our Twin Cities metro area files.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->