24 replies to this topic

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

something that struck me as odd was that the two most prominent features are the Hospital and the trolley/transit routes. This is a walking map right?

It's for a convention of sorts and the items people will most need to know are 1) how to get between the hotel and the performance venues (theaters) via light rail (they will have free ride passes), and 2) where to eat. Having been a participant/attendee when it was held in other cities, I can guarantee these as the primary requirements. The other stuff (general sightseeing, etc.) is better served by more general maps that already exist.

The hospital is added only because it's good to know where that is in case it's needed. Though I might have made it a bit too prominent...

A change in the title is probably a good solution here. People will know what it it's for, but that's no reason to be sloppy with the name.

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Why have the roads cased at all? Why not just have white streets in a khaki ground? If you turn the casings the same color as the ground, it will keep the ramp separation for the freeway. Then you don't have to worry about the street labels.

I like the street car idea. I've struggled with dropping the casing. When I left it out I felt like I didn't have enough contrast and had trouble viewing the printed map in low lighting. When I darkened the background, the Hermann grid illusion seemed more obvious and distracting.

Maybe my eyes are just funny. :blink:

I'll fiddle with this again, though.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Very nice map Sky,

I noticed a couple of things. Similar to Dennis's comment - I think the restaurants that offer discount should stand-out more than those what don't. Presently the restaurants that don't off a discount are much easier to find.

The street labels crash against the stroke on the roads. I would suggest either removing the stroke (mentioned earlier) or float the text on a khaki "text pillow" (haloed text).

Attached Files

• Attached File  Sky.gif   4.05KB   56 downloads

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

I've taken Dennis's suggestion and dropped the darker road casing. In doing so I had to darken the background color and that's forced me to adjust a couple of other colors. I'll also be swapping the restaurant icon colors.

I'll also experiment with some of the other ideas that have been raised.

Thanks, again, everyone for all your feedback!

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Next rev is attached. The biggest change, beyond the ones listed in my previous message, is that I am using initials for the restaurants. If someone can recommend a sans serif, monospace font that is better looking than Lucidia Console, I'm all ears.

Attached Files

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I would try to mute the green of the parks. They are the objects highest on the visual hierarchy. In fact, North Block Parks are more prominent than Gerding Theatre. Same could be said about Willamette River, it competes with the legend and it is not that important is this particular map.
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

I would try to mute the green of the parks. They are the objects highest on the visual hierarchy. In fact, North Block Parks are more prominent than Gerding Theatre. Same could be said about Willamette River, it competes with the legend and it is not that important is this particular map.

Maybe taking the black outlines off of those features would be enough?

The legend shows numbers in the restaurant symbols; maybe change to letters to match the map? I assume there is a key off the map that matches the 2 letter code to the restaurants?

Otherwise, looks nice and clean.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Looking pretty good. I'd drop the green outline from the parks and mute the green, as suggested. It need not be terribly different from the khaki ground: something like 15C 0M 15Y 8K.

If you're going to keep the crossties on the streetcar line, I'd make them finer weight and closer together. But I still encourage you to just use a nice thick simple line instead.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

Picky on the details:

1. Why does Silver Cloud Inn have a line between the symbol and label, while no other location has this?

2. I agree that the cross ties are distracting. They act as visual blocks as I try to follow the street car route.

3. Could you reduce the contrasts of the outline of Willamette River and it title? The river contrasts so much more than other items on the map that I find myself drawn to it rather than more important features of the map.

4. Does the ComedySportz really need a different label from the other locations on the map? I would prefer them all being the same. A different label makes me think there is something different about that location than other locations. Maybe it is different?

5. If you are going to separate the scale from the legend, I think the scale should have an opaque background and a border the same weight as the legend. I didn't even notice it until a while after looking at the map.

6. I think the restaurant symbols in the legend should be letters to match the symbols on the map.

I really like the symbols you used and the colors you chose. I also really like how you integrated the neighborhood names in the background so that they don't interfere with anything else on the map.

Great job!

Philip
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

cubswinn

cubswinn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Great looking map!

Small point. The placement of the street names seems random. Wouldn't they look a little cleaner if they were justified? Ex: NW 16th, 17th and 18th Ave all right justified to Kearney etc.

Maybe I'm alone here or maybe you haven't gotten to it yet, but it seems like a lot of that could be done.
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->