10 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I am creating a map in Manifold for export to Illustrator. My problem is this: I have a world map set up as a Map component. It looks fine there. When I create a layout based on the Map, the content appears generalized. Same content, different appearance (see the attached screen shot for a side by side comparison). Any ideas as to why this is? And how I ensure that the same resolution that is used for the Map component is used in the Layout component? Has anyone else experienced this?

Attached File  manifold.jpg   237.85KB   96 downloads

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

Weird. I wouldn't expect that.

What version of Manifold (and build)? Can you provide a sample and/or a workflow to reproduce it?

And are you sure the element in the layout is that map? (It can be changed even with a bound layout - but you'd have to reduce the original element in size . . ., and I can't exclude that possibility given the components we can see).

Is your Layout view set using a Saved View in the Views Pane? Some other way?

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

I have never seen this before in Manifold normally the layout should show exactly what you see in the map and i don't see anything, like images, that would cause anything like this to happen.

Ditto the questions mdsumner has and what version of Windows are you running?

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

This is weird, I'll admit. After the reponses to my query I thought that perhaps I had mistakenly included a wrong layer in my layout that wasn't showing up in the map. But no, that's not the case. I have removed all of the components except those that are needed to display the error and I would post it here but it is about 3 MB. Email me and I can send it to anyone who wants to have a look.

I am running Manifold 7.1.18.1873 on a Windows Vista machine.

I remain puzzled.

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

This is weird, I'll admit. After the reponses to my query I thought that perhaps I had mistakenly included a wrong layer in my layout that wasn't showing up in the map. But no, that's not the case. I have removed all of the components except those that are needed to display the error and I would post it here but it is about 3 MB. Email me and I can send it to anyone who wants to have a look.

I am running Manifold 7.1.18.1873 on a Windows Vista machine.

I remain puzzled.

Looks like this is a system problem as I did not get the same problem with your map on my setup. I'm running Manifold build 1873 on Windows XP Pro. Could be a myriad of things have you checked your graphics drivers to see if there are any updates?

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I would send this in to Manifold and at least post it to georeference.org if you have not done so already.

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

And try with today's update.

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

And, do you get the same effect if you use a layout set to a different printer? (layouts talk to the printer driver)

Holograph

Holograph

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Perhaps you have already done this, but to get the layout to look like the map window, make sure that you create a view for your map window, and then when you create the layout, right click on the map component in the layout, open the properties, and make sure that you use "scope: view" rather than the whole component.

That way, the layout will exactly match the scale of the map view, and also the center of the map view will be placed in the center of the layout.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I am very confused. The file I sent to mdsumner and bcowper I looked at again and found there to be no problem. I went back to the original file and looked at that and found the issue still there. I went back and forth between files, examining things and doubting what was going on and myself. I let it sit for the night and looked at it again this morning, after reading responses in the list again. Suddenly there seems to be no problem in either of the files. The issue has disappeared. Good news, in a way, but what actually happened? Strange.

Thanks all for the help. Ill be keeping any eye things and let you know if it pops up again.

(But it did really happen! I wasn't just my imagination! Weird.)

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

I didn't see the problem you described: I saw a thicker border line in the layout, that wasn't in the drawing.

Otherwise the actual topology was the same ( and I looked at the same geographic area).

It's worth sending the .map file to sales with as much description as you can muster. I've had things they reflect on but can't reproduce (and neither can I) but they have more clues about where to look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->