2 replies to this topic

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

For those of you who use MAPublisher, what are your secrets for creating one-way street direction arrows that line up nicely with the roads, without having to rotate symbols by hand? I'm really new to both MAPublisher and Illustrator (I'm still on CS2) so pretend I'm even more ignorant than I sound. ;)

So far, I've kludged a solution where I add a column to the street data and fill it with a character that becomes an arrow in the appropriate font, and is aligned correctly when I line-label. But that seems pretty...uh...kludgy. Is there some secret I haven't figured out?

Note that putting arrowheads on lines using Illustrator's endcap function is not the solution I'm looking for. I need more control over where they appear.

Let's assume that my lines are all ordered correctly.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

So far, I've been doing this manually... Your font-trick sounds like a pretty good way to do it... :rolleyes:

I could probabely do a lot of manipulating with FME to get a short line in the appropriate direction that you could easily add an arrowhead to in Illustrator, but you'd still need to check manually whether it doesn't interfere with anything else on the map. Are you doing this for an area with a regular, grid-like, road pattern?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Are you doing this for an area with a regular, grid-like, road pattern?

It's for a downtown road grid, but the one-way streets in the portion I'm working in are sparser. There are also several "funny streets" where things are one-way when you wouldn't expect it by just looking at the map.

It sounds like I should stick with my font trick, then. It does let me just point the label tagging tool at the line where I want the symbol, and drop it in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->