eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Hello all,

I'm hoping that you will be able to help me with my current problem: I can't seem to get the dwg files found here BCTC transmission lines to display properly in ArcMap 9.2. It doesn't seem to want to accept our projections or exporting or whatever we try.

A coworker spent some time on the support line with ESRI, and all they could come up with is the georeferencing option, which doesn't seem to work very well with this data set.

I'm hoping that some of you brilliant people may have an idea how to help me :blink: .

Thanks very much in advance, Eliana.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

should we assume you've checked to make sure that the units/extent in the drawing file matches with the type of projection you are trying to impose on it?

edit:

just looked at the file; model space units are km. if that doesn't match any cs of yours, and or extent, then you'll need to do a spatail adjustment to existing referenced data and try to fit it in the best you can.

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Ok, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I assumed the data would be in BC Albers (which I'm pretty sure is meters), since that's the standard BC Government projection.
But anyway, I guess you've confirmed what the ESRI people said. Dommage.
Thanks for your time!

Caledon_Carto

Caledon_Carto

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

[quote name='eli' date='Jul 27 2007, 10:31 PM' post='12749']
Hello all,

Eli,
I had a look at your file and it seems that there is no co-ordinate system attached to it, hence the requirement for the geo-referencing.
The units are not identified as metres etc.
We deal with Microstation (dgn) and AutoCAD (dwg) files a fair bit and its crucial that they are created geographically correct in the
first place to import them successfully into ArcGIS.
For the likes of Microstation you need to have the likes of Geo-coordinator or MGE Projection Manager. Not sure about the AutoCAD
contemporaries but I'd imagine there is something similar.
Once these are in ArcGIS you also need to make sure you have a respective .prj or .wml (projection files) and make sure it stays with the
attached file. If fact for Microstation there is a bug in ArcGIS 9.1 and .prj files need to be created outside of ArcCatalog.
If the dwg is an export from Illustrator or the likes then geo-referenceing is the only way forward.

Its never as simple as its says on the packet! I wish you success and plenty of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->