• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I use ArcMap and Adobe Illustrator and feel that both products have matured to the point that if you can dream it you can do it with these tool kits.

I have pretty wild dreams ;)

I'm an Illustrator user myself and I still run into limitations every now and then (not counting the usual "out of memory" stuff). I don't think a specific Illustrator for Cartographers book would be that necessary. A good Illustrator book should cover those topics anyway (as cartographers we don't really use that much of what Illustrator can do, we only push it to its limits).

In fact, whenever I do a MAPublisher training course, I suggest that the participants get themselves thoroughly acquainted with Illustrator first, either through a training course or through practice.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

In fact, whenever I do a MAPublisher training course, I suggest that the participants get themselves thoroughly acquainted with Illustrator first, either through a training course or through practice.

Well, in that case I am on the right track. I have the trainer, the software, the workbook and - most importantly - I have been blessed with a work structure that will (for the next month at least) will allow me the TIME to get to know this program.

Although I have given up my quest to find an Illlustrator manual specific to GIS, I still think that since there IS a book on the specifics of Abobe Illustrator for Fashion Design and Abobe Illustrator for Textile Design (no - really - look it up, they are there) why NOT have an Illustrator book written by a cartographer FOR cartographers? Hmmm? Why not??? Hmmm?

Maybe YOU could write one?
Imagine what a hero you'd be!!!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

Maybe YOU could write one?
Imagine what a hero you'd be!!!

:lol:

We already have quite a lot of information in the Advice and Tutorials section here. Maybe it's best to start there... Apart from the fact that I don't consider myself sufficiently good enough in Illustrator to write a book about it, with my current workload you may have to wait for a long time for it to be published...

And of course you're more then welcome to ask us everything you'd like to know. As I'm sure you've noticed, there's a great number of very skilled cartographers here who would be more than happy to help you out.
Red Geographics

Lizarto

Lizarto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hello,

I am new to the group and I really enjoyed this thread. I am a graphic designer by trade, working for the planning division at the City of Seattle. We have a couple of GIS folks, but I am used to create the maps showing proposed changes and urban design projects so I work in Illustrator. (And I am begging my bosses for Mapublisher!)

I would agree that it is high time for their to be a book on Illustrator/Cartography and perhaps include web versions and considerations? These maps often end up in the laps of the carto-ignorant (like me). I also looked for classes and books when I started out, but just had to figure it out myself, bit by bit. But I am not a big fan of books that go over software how-to. Online tutorials will teach you almost any of that much quicker. But I do see a need for a book that focuses on ways to shade a body of water, how to get your topo to reveal the landscape without overwhelming the layout, color choices that support the material, and how to get some great type in there. I think these are some of the reasons folks turn to Illustrator over other carto programs. Or when they can't afford the spiffier programs (I have to work with ArcView3.3!). Illustrator does give you all the options if you can choose judiciously.

So far: I found some good advice in Tufte's books, and I keep looking for great examples of maps that are relevant to my work. And that is why I am here.

Thanks! Liz

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

Hi Liz, and welcome to Cartotalk!

We have a couple of GIS folks, but I am used to create the maps showing proposed changes and urban design projects so I work in Illustrator. (And I am begging my bosses for Mapublisher!)

Ah, good luck with that :) It is a great add-on for Illy though and I wouldn't want to live without it.
Red Geographics

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

"I would agree that it is high time for their to be a book on Illustrator/Cartography and perhaps include web versions and considerations?"

That sounds like a useful book. Actually some of the books on Illustrator have map examples in them, such as the Adobe Illustrator CSx WOW! book.

Not enough examples for someone starting out from scratch, but worth taking a look at I think.

erik

Alexander Remizov

Alexander Remizov

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:2D, 3D-graphic, Animation, Biology, Joiner's craft
  • Russian Federation

Excuse me for that that I open an old theme again. :)

But I wish to tell that here have not recollected program Expression 3.
It is the unique program for a long time begun by the company metacreations.

She allows to draw the vector drawing as painting!
It looks as the raster image, but actually is the vector image! (Quality of the image does not depend almost on the size of drawing)

Last years I draw almost all in program Expression 3. (For an example: illustrations to the "Red book RK", even)

Now the program belongs to company Microsoft.
But the new version of the program (Expression design) is very spoilt. :(

Expression 3 - the free program.

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Expression 3 - the free program.

Thanks - I'm not familiar with that program, but I'll look into it.

I am SOOOO impressed with the maps on your website - you are very talented!
I hope to be that good one day...

Thank you for the inspiration.

Alexander Remizov

Alexander Remizov

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Russian Federation

I do not know it is possible to find Expression 3 in the Internet now or it is impossible. But it seemed on the Microsoft site still links to the distribution kit.

If is not present, I can send the program to you. (I think it does not break the law, because the program free)

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

I did find some websites with it.
But in the meantime, my company purchased the Adobe Creative Suite for me to use!
Thanks.

I do not know it is possible to find Expression 3 in the Internet now or it is impossible. But it seemed on the Microsoft site still links to the distribution kit.

If is not present, I can send the program to you. (I think it does not break the law, because the program free)

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

...Once you have brought the various layers from GIS to Illustrator, you simply look at them and see what needs to be done...

Could not have said it better Dennis. I was nervous when first leaning Illy/MaPubly, but it ended up like that first time you ride a roller coaster: You're nervous :o until the cars start rolling, and then your having too much fun to worry about anything else. :D

As far as a specific book titled "Real World Illustrator WOW Cartography Bible for GIS Dummies," I just don't think there is a market for it. I wish there were though...I'd be the first dummy to buy it. :D

-Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo)
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Seems to me I attended a NACIS presentation a few years back (Portland, Maine maybe?) where the presenter was working on just such a book (cart0-specific graphics software instruction).

I use the ArcMap/MAPublisher/Illustrator combo like so many others, and it's difficult to see the need. Many maps I make have extensive standards that are pretty clearly defined. Not all though...

I think it's just a matter of learning Illustrator and going from there.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

For the record - download links for CreatureHouse Expression 3 can be found on the wikipedia page.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Alexander Remizov

Alexander Remizov

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Russian Federation

Yes yes. That's it. :)
The Expression from the "Creature House" is much better than the new program "Expression design" from the "Microsoft"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->