1 reply to this topic

Agliee

Agliee

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Austria

Hi everyone,

I am new to cartotalk and I am not sure if this issue has been rasied before. I did some search in the forums but without any success.

Since our company is moving from freehand to illustrator CS3 after a decade of useing freehand we need to convert as many of the documents as possible. When using Illustrator CS3 most of the information contained in a freehand file is converted successfully. Unfortunately it seems that graphic Styles (fills, contours) are not imported at all whereas Swatches are imported smoothly.

I suppose this is a problem well known to many of you but does anyone have a solution for this?

Many thanks in advance,

Agliee

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

When using Illustrator CS3 most of the information contained in a freehand file is converted successfully. Unfortunately it seems that graphic Styles (fills, contours) are not imported at all whereas Swatches are imported smoothly.

I suppose this is a problem well known to many of you but does anyone have a solution for this?

Two thoughts.

First, as Bruce Daniel from Cartifact discussed in his part of last year's Freehand to Illustrator session at NACIS 2006, if the the file will continue to be used in AI, it's a good idea to rethink how it is layered and constructed. For example, if you have built cased roads using multiple layers, it may be preferable to style a whole illustrator layer with a given multi-stroke style (this will join casings). In general, layers are stronger and styles are weaker in AI.

That said, it may be helpful while in Freehand to select by style and then divide files up by many layers, each with one style (or "of a type" with one symbol and one text style per layer, for example). You can always group layers as sub layers when in AI to minimize the default pallette size, but since selecting all within a layer is the simplest mode of operating in AI, it may be easiest to use your select-by-style in FH...

I actually find myself using the style pallette in AI much less than I was used to using it in FH, precisely because it is "weak." Especially the graphic styles.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->