7 replies to this topic

Tor Anderson

Tor Anderson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Greetings,

Please forgive my ignorance if this question has already been posted and solved.

BUT... How can I open DXF files in Mac Illustrator CS3 and keep the layers separate and organized? Or is there a better file format that will allow this?

I'm new to posting, but it seems like my question is a hot topic on these boards. I'm an experienced graphic designer who creates a lot of maps in Illustrator, but by tracing, redrawing and importing USGS DRGs. I've been playing with GlobalMapper and some GIS files, and want to now get the files into Illustrator where I can refine the designs.

For the time being, I cannot afford Avenza Mapublisher, but it seems like this may be the way to go. Are there any other software options (Mac or PC) that I should consider, to help me get files from the GIS world into the graphic design world?

Thanks!
Tor Anderson
Telluride, CO

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Greetings,

Please forgive my ignorance if this question has already been posted and solved.

BUT... How can I open DXF files in Mac Illustrator CS3 and keep the layers separate and organized? Or is there a better file format that will allow this?

I'm new to posting, but it seems like my question is a hot topic on these boards. I'm an experienced graphic designer who creates a lot of maps in Illustrator, but by tracing, redrawing and importing USGS DRGs. I've been playing with GlobalMapper and some GIS files, and want to now get the files into Illustrator where I can refine the designs.

For the time being, I cannot afford Avenza Mapublisher, but it seems like this may be the way to go. Are there any other software options (Mac or PC) that I should consider, to help me get files from the GIS world into the graphic design world?

DXF is probabely my least favourite format to work with, but since it's the lowest common denominator, it sometimes can't be avoided. For opening them directly into Illustrator, MAPublisher is the way to go.

An alternative might be Manifold (website), an inexpensive GIS. No Mac version of it, but I'm told it runs well on Bootcamp. Using Manifold, you can import a DXF then export an Illustrator file.

Hope this helps...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

I agreed with Hans MP is probably the best option.

If it is a one shot deal, you could use the select same in Illy to build your layers.
Chart

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

If you can get whoever supllies you with the CAD files to export them to a .dwg instead you might be able to read them in with Illustrator with layers intact.

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Manifold would be a way to go. You can always ask any of us to convert the file for you.

Tor Anderson

Tor Anderson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll check out Manifold, but it sounds like Mapublisher is the way to go. I'll start saving. How is the support and learning curve for MP? Do most CAD/GIS programs export DWG files? Can Illy CS3 open DWG files?

Tor Anderson

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

http://www.hotdoor.c...navcontent=none

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll check out Manifold, but it sounds like Mapublisher is the way to go. I'll start saving. How is the support and learning curve for MP? Do most CAD/GIS programs export DWG files? Can Illy CS3 open DWG files?

Support for MP is excellent, learning curve is fairly low. It should be noted, however (see Martin's HotDoor link below) that there are a variety of DXF formats. I have had problems with importing DXF files through MP in the past, related (I believe) to points-per-layer limits in AI and some CAD's habit of making curves as hundrends of short straight segments. I've several times ended up going through a freelancer who has a variety of translation scripts to process these.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->