rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hi All -

No matter how good we are, it is always helpful to have at least a second set of eyes take a look at our work. I was reminded of this just recently when a piece I had worked on went to press and came back with a number of now seemingly obvious errors. Nothing will be perfect, of course, and it always seems to happen that when something comes back from the printers your eyes alight on an error almost right away.

Having said all that, I wouldn't mind hearing from others - particularly those who work with a number of other cartographers or in a larger shop - what processes they have in place for ensuring the quality of their output is of the highest calibre. Working in a graphics environment I have tried to split the QC into 2 parts - content review and style review. Generally how much time do people spend on quality control? I have had very thorough cartographers review the work of others but have felt that they taken too long. Others seem to skate over the QC process and are done quickly. I have tried to implement a standard process but there seems to be a lot of room left to the individual's discretion as to how deeply the review should be. Any thoughts, directions and feedback are welcome.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Excellent point, and QAQC is a critical step for me. It all comes down to making a small network of solid, compitent reviewers and arranging a system with them (pay or quid-pro-quo).
I would also add that you might include a non-cartographer in the review loop if they are exceptionally detail oriented and efficient.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Definitely the more trained eyes you have on a project, the better. QA/QC is a huge process for ESRI Press. We have editors, copyeditors, myself, graphic designers, print production people and supervisors looking through our books before they get out. Some of the more technical books are reviewed by peers and of course, the authors themselves get a chance to thoroughly go over the book. Actually, we build in at least 2-3 months for this process to be completed.

Specifically for cartography related items, I rely on myself and my copy editors who are great with catching very small details. It is not only important that I get the maps correct, but also the how it relates to the body text. My copy editors will sometimes catch small differences in the maps and body text (ie, referring to a specific color in the map).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->