• 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

We've just completed a compositing job for a client in Canada. We took the newly free-use 1:50,000 topographic maps from the Geogratis web site, joined and cleaned edges in Photoshop.

The client wants a key to go alongside the final display, and to my surprise, I could not find one that actually matches the printed maps. There is a key at Toporama, the public display portal for the Atlas of Canada, but while it is advertised as "printable", I do not think it will actually print so well... Similar problem with the keys at Topo 101, Natural Resources Canada's equivalent.

On the back of the printed maps, there is something more like what I have in mind... but it's in one color, a warm gray.

Has anyone come across (or created) a truly printable full-color key for these maps? Something equivalent to the USGS symbol brochure partly reproduced here? Somthing which will stand being blown up 200-300%?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Nat,

There is a manual called Standards and Specifications 1:50 000 polychrome map NTS
This manual has the full set of symbols used for the production of the 50k maps. The print quality is good and I would assume the pages could be scanned at a say 300-600 dpi and give an excellent digital file that could be used to put together a key.

If you can't get your hands on that manual you can look up:
http://maps.nrcan.gc...ainIndexE50.htm

Hope this helps a bit.
Chart

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Nat,

There is a manual called Standards and Specifications 1:50 000 polychrome map NTS
This manual has the full set of symbols used for the production of the 50k maps. The print quality is good and I would assume the pages could be scanned at a say 300-600 dpi and give an excellent digital file that could be used to put together a key.

If you can't get your hands on that manual you can look up:
http://maps.nrcan.gc...ainIndexE50.htm

Hope this helps a bit.

Looks like that's what's needed. Anyone have a copy to lend?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Nat,

Have you looked at the link. Each symbol representation can be downloaded (e.g. right click ... save image). If that does not do the trick I can scan and send you a page of the printed specs to see if can be of use to build your key.
Chart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->