rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hi All -

We have a number of large maps that are split up into a number of Illustrator files (because of file size issues). Because of custom map requests and an increase in hardware and software capabilities I'd like to merge these files together. These files generally have the same layer names. I am wondering if there is a way of merging the two (or more) files into 1 so that items that appear on Layer 1 in File A get put on Layer 1 in File B, and so on. Currently, if a file is placed or copied and pasted into the new file, all items get put on the active layer.

As well, currently if I copy and object from file A and paste in front, it will appear in relatively the correct location (which is what I'd want). I would want to do the same thing with any merging of files.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Would Mapublisher resolve this issue (provided the files are georeferenced correctly)? Are there other ways of resolving hte issue?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

We have a number of large maps that are split up into a number of Illustrator files (because of file size issues). Because of custom map requests and an increase in hardware and software capabilities I'd like to merge these files together. These files generally have the same layer names. I am wondering if there is a way of merging the two (or more) files into 1 so that items that appear on Layer 1 in File A get put on Layer 1 in File B, and so on. Currently, if a file is placed or copied and pasted into the new file, all items get put on the active layer.

As well, currently if I copy and object from file A and paste in front, it will appear in relatively the correct location (which is what I'd want). I would want to do the same thing with any merging of files.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Would Mapublisher resolve this issue (provided the files are georeferenced correctly)? Are there other ways of resolving hte issue?

The relative positioning trick (paste in front) will only work if both files have the same document settings.

In the layers pallette's menu, there's an option at the bottom that says "Paste remembers layers". If that's selected, pasting will result in data being placed on layers with the same name as in the original file (layers will be created if necessary)

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

the only way is to select your objects in each individual layer and copy and paste them into your other document. of course, you will have to create a new layer in your other document. if the layout dimensions are the same in both documents and if you keep it centered, it should paste your objects in the exact same position.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

The relative positioning trick (paste in front) will only work if both files have the same document settings.

In the layers pallette's menu, there's an option at the bottom that says "Paste remembers layers". If that's selected, pasting will result in data being placed on layers with the same name as in the original file (layers will be created if necessary)

Hope this helps.

The "Paste remembers layers" will work fine. Now all I need to do is set up my files so that they will line up. Thanks Hans.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Rudy,
I've used a script I found on the Adobe exchange to do this in the past. I'm not entirely sure this is the same one, but it's worth a try" Move layers between documents You will probably have to position the features manually.

If this one isn't what your looking for, look around the Adobe Exchange Illustratror Scripts

The best way to do this IMO is to import a "Map view" into an existing document using Mapublisher. Not only will you bring the layers across fully-symbolized and referenced, but you will also have the attribute data. It's an awesome feature. Hope this helps.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out and report back on how it works. I'm running CS3 so that might be an issue. In any case, thanks for directing me to the script library. Always worthwhile to have such a resource when dealing with repetitive tasks.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

We do this all the time in FreeHand. One very useful trick we rely on is the "snap to point" capability. So if I have a park or some other object that appears in both files (assuming they're at the same scale), paste in the new stuff, grab a corner of the park and snap it to the same corner of the same park in the original file. Now discard the stretched park. The "snap to point" feature will make it line up precisely where it should.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

We do this all the time in FreeHand.

Great . . . except that we are moving away from Freehand (it no longer being supported).

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but if the layers in question are part of a MAPublisher MAP View, you can Import a MAP View from one open MAPublisher document to another -- it should preserve positioning & geo-referencing. I believe the positioning is maintained using the internal Illustrator coordinates so if you go from one document size to another it might seem to be located differently, but the geo-referencing should be the same so you can use the MAP View editor to move it, or drag the layers into a common MAP View in the destination document.

Once they're in the same file you can then merge layers using MAPublisher as well, though I believe it expects comparable attribute structures (and be in the same MAP View). If you don't have any attributes though it should merge them just fine. Both of these functions are available via the MAP Views palette.

I think that would solve your problem, but it does assume you're using a MAPublisher file to begin with, or can organize your layers into MAP Views without too much problem.
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->