Aris

Aris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Greece

Dear all

I’ve been a member to the forum for some time now, but this is my first post here. I would like any kind of feedback, comments for the map (sorry for the Greek characters but the map is meant to be in Greek). I have to say that is just my hobby to mesh around with maps and I’m using only ArcMap. So don’t be hard on me.

Thanks
Aris

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Aris, and welcome to Cartotalk ;)

I’ve been a member to the forum for some time now, but this is my first post here. I would like any kind of feedback, comments for the map (sorry for the Greek characters but the map is meant to be in Greek). I have to say that is just my hobby to mesh around with maps and I’m using only ArcMap. So don’t be hard on me.

That's looking very nice, albeit a bit fuzzy. Do you have a clearer image of the close-up?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Aris

Aris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Greece

Hi Aris, and welcome to Cartotalk ;)

That's looking very nice, albeit a bit fuzzy. Do you have a clearer image of the close-up?

Here you are. I hope 1.5mb is not a problem. Still not 100% but for some reason I can’t upload tif.

Attached File  Athens_part.jpg   482.36KB   199 downloads

Edited by Hans van der Maarel, 13 July 2007 - 08:13 AM.
Replaced bmp with jpg

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I took the liberty of replacing the bmp with a jpg, I hope you don't mind... It's sharper than the original though.

So here's my comments:
- The difference in width between the 2 classes of roads is kinda big.
- Sometimes some subway stations (at least that's what I assume they are) are right on top of eachother. South of the Akropolis for example, red + yellow. Can you move them around a bit so they don't overlap. If they're interchange stations, maybe give them a different symbol (like on the London Underground map)?

Also, some explanation of what is what would be really nice. I'm always interested in maps that are in a language I totally do not understand (and is not even using the same alphabet). I assume that everything beginning with a 'delta' is a hill or something?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

Looks nice.

For me the differences between the coastal vigette colors are a bit abrupt. I would probably stick with the same hue throughout.

Not knowing what kinds of features they label the labels beginning with "delta" seem kind of random in the sense that some are straight/horizontal, others are slightly curved and a few are strongly curved. Are the curved labels following features? How about the straight horizontal ones?

Otherwise I think the hypsometric colors look good.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Aris - Thanks for posting. Nice work.

Colors look quite nice. Also the icons work well too. Overall very easy to look at.
A few suggestions would be:
- Road color coding scheme is not intuitive to me. Even with legend to connect it to, I would add casings and use a ramped color or just two complimentary colors.
- Possible check some of the type - its your call - but you might add casings to type where it overlaps feature.
- Faux bathymetry :) Do you have access to the real thing? Keep it vector (convert or simplify & trace) or use VMAP0 contours. Since you are describing terrain contours,
I would make an effort to show actual sea contour (as a lesser overall effect of course).

What is the name of the font?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi Aris,

Don't apologise for it having greek type - that looks very exotic and interesting to me!

The shaded relief looks really nice! In contrary to the comment about bathymetry, I think you should avoid it. Definately - since I doubt that it adds any value at all to the message that I think you want to communicate with the map (which is focused on the land features, the public transport and the roads). But I would consider doing the water different - either a smoother gradient, or just one tone.

;)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Aris

Aris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Greece

Thanks everybody for the comments. I will definitely change the metro overlapping station, the road width and the color of the sea. I do have access to bathymetry and might try to replace that with the buffer.

Aris

gvlisnas

gvlisnas

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

Hi Aris,

Since i know about the area and can read the map more efficient than someone whoe doesn't my suggestions would be these...

1. U should change the interchange stations to a different symbol. Or use the symbols used by athens metro e.g. in Syntagma station red outline with blue circle in it.

2. The tram network should be in one color. (For the rest of you tram is the yellow line and the light blue one)

3. You should add the rest of "proastiakos" train network (black line - north of map). So it passes through the train station (by the way you should move the train symbol so it doesn't overlap with the metro station)

4. I would change the color of the symbols used for train, buses and ferries to something else, because the orange gives me the impression that they're part of the road network of the same color.

Nevertheless the map is very good! The topographic "base" map is pretty, and the contour lines are great. I wouldn't chage something except using one color for the sea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->